New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Thinking about a 2003 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking about a 2003 Disco

Hello all, Lowcoe from So Cal, Working on 3 different project vehicles and then my darn neighbor wants to sell me his 2003 Discovery. Been admiring the beauty for several years. Carpooled my kids to school for a couple years. Lately it has been parked in the drive leaving its mark ( power steering?) . Frantic research done. Lowball offer made waiting to hear back. Engine supposedly replaced at 80 k by dealership ( would that be the same problematic engine or a newer version?). Mileage now at 125k.... what should a guy do. If I get it I would trade in my truck and my wife's car together to get her a nicer ride. Tell me some good things about a 2003...

Old 11-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a land rover, its mark is probably oil from leaking valve cover gaskets. Very common, not a hard job to do. I love these trucks. i would get it. im near LAX and have an 04' that was rolled on its side, so if you need parts let me know. i also have Autel diagnostic tool and can read/clear engine/ABS/SRS/TC/HD systems, program keys and more. If you mechanically inclined, then these are easy to own. but these tend to need more attention then a toyota lol. as long as you stay on top of items as they come up, it will last a long time. and if you are able t make repairs your self, then its not very expensive like people say.

my opinion is: if you like it, get it. as long as it doesn't have any major internal motor or transmission problems and the price is right then why not?

if you like off roading you will love it. only thing 2003 doesnt have it the center diff lock, but its still very capable without.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Drifting

Thanks Brandon, I'm waiting to hear back from my neighbor.. I offered 2 k and he is thinking about it.... I'll keep you posted..

Old 11-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Ok so I have decided the ol girl needs to come live with me. Leak seems to be power steering hose. Needs brakes in a big bad way. Headliner is saggin. At one point I could hear water gurgling up under the passenger side dash....I can't really find any other issues with the truck other than sun damage.. I don't have a code reader yet ... the only light on is SRS. Some old oil change papers found in the glovebox showed code which said it was running too rich and a couple more I better go check now that I think about it... 125 k I believe. We settled on $2500... tires are original as far as I can tell. Look like they could blow at any minute. Air shocks already removed from rear. Needs a new front driveshaft asap... needs all of the high mileage maintenance done. I've got an Amazon shopping cart with 18 items in it just waiting to pull the trigger. I've driven it to work and back today just to get a feel for it. It makes me drive much calmer than I do with my 2011 Dodge Hemi Truck...I guess I will be adding a signature line to my posts that starts with

2003 Discovery 2 SE7

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about a 2003 Disco-img_9551.jpg  

Last edited by Lowcoe; 11-19-2016 at 11:26 PM.