New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Why so cheap? (the cars, not me)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 04:33 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so cheap? (the cars, not me)

New member, and it looks like a great forum. Thanks.

I found it on a Google search, after looking fro a new plow vehicle. I've always admired Range Rovers, and even had a buddy who owned one in the 90's. It. was a delightful vehicle, but had a short life through no fault of the car's - it wound up in a beaver pond in NH. Got dried out, then caught fire in NYC.

Anyway, in looking for a new plow vehicle I found more than a few Range Rovers for really low pries - some under a thousand, more for a few thousand. The ads all say they run; some say they run well.

What gives? Are these wonderful vehicles frightfully expensive to repair and maintain? Have the owners just neglected them for too long? Are they terribly troublesome? Do rich folks just not want to buy a used car? Am I missing something? Might one make a good plow vehicle, or even a daily driver, at these prices? Can I fix it myslef when necessary?

Again, thanks for a nice forum, and I apologize if my questions seem insulting to the vehicles. I really do think they are quite wonderful.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:42 PM
4th Gear

I am new here, too. Honestly can't imagine RR under thousand, even a used car I currently live in Canada, and want to buy a used RR at the United States, just thinking over the transporting ( I tend to clearit.ca ) and arranging some docs.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Service records are the key to any Land Rover purchase. I will guess that about 70% of LR that are purchased in the States start off as lease vehicles. Which means that they only get what is needed or warranted. Because it is going to get returned when the lease is over.
If you get one of the other 30% that were purchased and maintained by an owner then you have a good vehicle get one that was neglected and you will live with problems for ever. Jmho
Originally Posted by Dale Kohl
I am new here, too. Honestly can't imagine RR under thousand, even a used car I currently live in Canada, and want to buy a used RR at the United States, just thinking over the transporting ( I tend to clearit.ca ) and arranging some docs.

The following users liked this post:
Graycenphil (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 AM
6th Gear

Thanks Drowssap. I'm guessing that the ones I saw were at least a step or two removed from leases, and probably have no serivce records.

But still, all that car for so little money. Dale, this is the one that first caught my attention, if you're considering a trip south:

1999 Land Rover Range Rover

I'm sure it's not in good shape, but still, 159K, says it runs great, and $699??!! I imagine a fuel pump for that car costs more, or a fuel injector with installation.

An there were quite a few others, some sounded much better for a few hundred or a thousand more:

1998 Range Rover - Reduced - Kick Me I'm Down!!!

***00 YaXJY Range Rover 4x4 PDRe***

Range Rover

Land Rover Range Rover P38

How dumb would I be to buy one of them?

Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Everyone is afraid of them. With very good reason if you're not mechanically inclined, and more so if you're easily intimidated. Stealerships take advantage of this, and unless you know of a good Rover independent, you won't get quality service.

If you put a plow on a Range Rover, you must post pics!!!

The following users liked this post:
Graycenphil (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 PM
6th Gear

Thanks Wjsj. I am inclined to maintain and repair my own vehicles, as long as it isn't work that requires secret software or unobtainable tools. I wonder though, if at $650, I could drive the Rover till the first thing breaks, then just buy another. Soon I'd have a very extensive parts car collection. Or maybe not. Perhaps I'd get years out of the first one?

If I do get it, I will post snowplow pics. I currently plow my driveway with my Jeep. I have a light duty plow that mounts to 2" receiver, so all I really need is a front hitch. It works well for my purposes.