Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Alaska off-road warriors

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:01 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

yeah.... about this show...

Old 12-01-2014, 06:11 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

people will watch it, thats for sure. it isn't so much about wheeling as it is about yelling.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:41 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

enter a cross country off road race and dont install lockers, wise choise

Last edited by drowssap; 12-01-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
right!!! that d90 would have wiped the floor with all of them in a heartbeat.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
My thoughts exactly. I also read on D90 that he ran out of time to upgrade his track rod. It takes all of 20 minutes.

I also didn't get why the D90 guy got so pissy at the end of day 1? If a tree is laying across the trail its most likely dead already.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's all for TV. Make the rednecks in their "clapped out trucks" look one way and have the dude in the shiny new rover complain about body damage and trails getting torn up.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

right.. the D90 stuck with rear wheel not doing anything.... was embarassing there for a minute.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:46 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alaska Off Road Warriors fun to watch - yes, the rest of the show a complete joke. I have been part of 4X4 culture for over 20 years. I have home built half a dozen hardcore rigs of my own and helped with many other mostly all on the cheap. My concerns are 3 fold all based on the fact that this is a cross country race for 100 grand: #1. For a race with with 100 thousand dollar purse why only 5 competitors. #2. There appears to be a lack of organization. There is little or no definition of start and finish lines. Their camp sites look as if they are arriving at some point on a map, no one there to keep time. Also when they leave camp there is no real emphasis on time interval starts. #3. Almost everyone one of these rigs appears to be home built on the cheap. Rigs you wouldn't take far from home and would be wheeling with friends or your local club. Stuff like lack of lockers, over heating rigs and stock parts leading to bent steering arms lead me to believe we will see much more of the same that plagues the local wheeler - stuck and broken rigs. (No offence this is the best part of wheeling as long as you are with a group of friends) I have been on a few longer trips with friends and local clubs and to tell you the truth they were plagued with stuck and broken rigs but we all came together to help each other out and had the best time of our lives. Happy wheeling

Old 12-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree on the D90. While it might be a nice truck, it's very lightly modified and missing some key components. Which just makes it look less capable than the other trucks. Stock steering links on a truck with 35's that's competing off road is just silly. It's one of the cheapest and most used upgrades. Lockers would have been a nice touch too.

I'm going to keep watching it, but I was pretty disappointed by the first episode. I just feel that this show won't help out cause any and is going to portray off roaders as a bunch of rampaging asshats that don't care about the environment. Which with it being a national show is just going to give the eco-natzi's more ammo.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

imo this dramatization of a fake off road race is a fine premise, for entertainment purposes.
the crybaby dead tree stuff and convenient lack of the most obviously needed gear, just make it too idiotic. flimsy track rods. a bumper built of what looks like emt (a little thicker, not much.) mullet helmet guy getting knocked around because you don't have a proper seat belt (in a vehicle that is supposedly in a competition)..........give me a break. just too silly. they could have made it seem a bit more legit.

Quick Reply: Alaska off-road warriors