Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Alaska off-road warriors

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
imo this dramatization of a fake off road race is a fine premise, for entertainment purposes.
the crybaby dead tree stuff and convenient lack of the most obviously needed gear, just make it too idiotic. flimsy track rods. a bumper built of what looks like emt (a little thicker, not much.) mullet helmet guy getting knocked around because you don't have a proper seat belt (in a vehicle that is supposedly in a competition)..........give me a break. just too silly. they could have made it seem a bit more legit.
my thoughts exactly...I think mullet may have bumped his head before...somewhere along the line.... just saying.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

yep, the little "see what happens next weak" clip, has him knocked out, apparently. and i misspelled week on purpose.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
yep, the little "see what happens next weak" clip, has him knocked out, apparently. and i misspelled week on purpose.
yep...it's a show...I actually think I could do better... ain't what you know it's who you know...I guess

Old 12-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

my $2.63 says that for dramatization purposes, they will have the brother/sister team win. also in an episode they will have a screaming, finger pointing, near fist fight scene.for the trifecta, they will also have one of the teams needing rescue, either because their junk is broken or succumbs to the harsh environment.

cool tv for me, would have been to give them a build budget (a small one) give them requirements of registration/inspection/whatever. drop them in a blind location(somewhere with trails). give gps or a map of the area (maybe a map with geographic details) mark leg end points. give whatever rules of the event and go. you could do an extended season opening episode showing the little build details and drama of that (gets the viewer to relate)and off they go. they could still make it a dramatization of the whining and dumbassery, but with a legit competition. I'd watch that.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm wondering if our truck will even make it till the end? LR should have thrown a few bucks his way before the race....or maybe they handed it to the execs for a scripted win? maybe not ???

Old 12-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I can't believe the purse is $100,000! Seems like a LOT of money for some pretty moderate trail riding so far. I wonder who put up the prize money? I wouldn't put it past some tree hugger group with deep pockets and an agenda to create the show to sway general opinion of OHV.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
I'm wondering if our truck will even make it till the end? LR should have thrown a few bucks his way before the race....or maybe they handed it to the execs for a scripted win? maybe not ???
Current Land Rover would just as soon forget trucks like the Defender ever existed. It would be interesting to see a LR4 in there though. Put a winch on it and I bet it would outperform half the trucks on that show!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Wife and I watched last nite, that jeep is the biggest hunk of crap cj5 I ever saw looks like kids built it its an embarrassment/ insult to the jeep community imo

Followed by the 80' s Toyota beater with the rednecks, not even proper rednecks, proper ones would have a bronco or blazer or pickup

Guy with the rover looks like a real off road driving armature, really you are gonna drive straight into a ditch and jamb the bumper in the dirt thinking a front locker will over power the dirt anchor you just created

Still trying to figure how he already broke a rear drive shaft, dude u joints are cheap put in new before the race , pushing 35's with stock vehicle and 4cyl tdi does not seem like a good idea

And yes they are doing good with the drama, always save room for alcohal so we can get drunk and act stupid screw the parts tools and supplies its fun to drag around empty glass bottles lol

Wife says oh I want to do that stuff, told her we need to dump a few thousand more in the d1

Old 12-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Camel Trophy

Would let the Super Heep owner work on your truck???
http://www.jantz4x4.com/jantz.php?p=home

Yeah I don't get the glass bottles. What a waste of space and weight.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
really you are gonna drive straight into a ditch and jamb the bumper in the dirt thinking a front locker will over power the dirt anchor you just created
You mean he has a front locker? I thought he was open/open. But I'm stuck in a hotel w/o H channel so I've not been able to see this weeks show.

Quick Reply: Alaska off-road warriors