Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Any current or former Soldiers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Any current or former Soldiers out there?

Hi all,

I like to do nice things for other people and thought there is no other more deserving group of folks than those that serve our country. I really appreciate all that you have done or continue to do. Thank you.

Having said that, I have felt like I want to contribute more, expecting nothing in return, other than to put a smile on someone's face. With my husband's consent I have 'adopted' a US soldier. I want to make someone's stay easier and more pleasurable and am looking for ideas of what to send in a care package. Apparently my soldier likes sports, drawing, video games and music. With Veteran's day coming up and Christmas, I'm looking for ideas of what soldier's can use and what they will appreciate receiving in the mail. I'm presently thinking of itunes cards and drawing supplies with???....

I've read horror stories of stuff just being thrown in the trash so I'd prefer to send items that he will actually use.

Many thanks for your ideas,

Christina

Old 10-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi Christina, I'm sure Army Rover can give you a heads up on this as he's US army based so I'm sure he'll help with some ideas.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

The thing I wanted the most over there seriously was an american big mac, fries and a apple pie.....

Good ground coffee, is always appreciated( we appreciated the whole beans someone sent to just not as much we played hell getting a grinder ), 20 ounce drink mixes, baby wipes, car magazines, candy. Itunes or google play cards are cool as long as the Soldier you have adpoted has good internet. Also might want to see if they have a PS3/4 or Xbox. We would kill for new games. DVD/BluRay are always good as well.

One last thing, thanks for thinking of our Soldiers overseas, and reaching out to them.

You have no idea how much the Rover community supported me while I was deployed. There are some wonderfully patriotic Americans that have been suckered into loving these British trucks. I personally appreciated everything that the Rover community sent me. 2 years of Land Rover mags, burned copies of 15 seasons of top gear, and a 50 lbs box of coffee candy and jerky. Along with a Boise ID police union T-Shirt that I still wear to this day. I also wore their Police patch on my body armor when I went out. The funniest and I wish I could find the pictures was a my up armor hummer with a Lucky8 sticker on the back bumper.

You all supported my team in your own way and it has never been forgotten by any of us. Thank you.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 10-29-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Thanks Christina for the kind gesture.
ArmyRover listed the important items like baby wipes & magazines.
For me, it was also cool to get "Thanks for your service" cards or drawings made by kids from either school or church. That really lifted my spirits and others who received the cards while deployed.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks guys for the good ideas, I was thinking about jerky and protein bars but never imagined baby wipes would be so high in demand Magazines I can handle and I know that his position is IT and networks so I'm assuming he has a good internet connection. I'll ask him about Blu-ray and DVDs, gaming, etc too. It sounds like you both appreciated the support while overseas and it's great to hear that other people love to do the same thing.

I'll have to put my thinking cap on and see who I know that teaches in the community that has a gaggle of kids that like to make cards. I loved doing stuff like that when I was little and will embarrassingly admit that I still love to do stuff like that today. Hopefully I can rock someone's world and add a smile to their day.

If anyone else has anything to add, I'd greatly appreciate it. So far it's:

Jerky
Protein Bars
Drink Mixes
Baby wipes (unscented)
Current Magazines
Drawing Supplies
Itunes/Amazon cards
Candy
Games/DVDs, etc.
Cards from Children
Good coffee (if he drinks it)

I love a good win/win and I feel good doing things for others. No need to thank me - it makes my day to do it

THANK YOU ALL for keeping us safe and continuing to defend our freedom!

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 10-29-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I know this doesn't have much to do with this thread but... .I couldn't resist

What in the world did they use these mules for? Why not use horses?

Old 10-30-2016, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

eat less and can carry more in rougher terrain generally

KernowDiscovery (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
eat less and can carry more in rougher terrain generally
X1 ................. also much hardier in cold and rough terrain. Horses were expensive and used for the officers transport plus shire cart horses for heavy transport, guns, wagons etc.

KernowDiscovery (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 06:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

interesting... wonder what tactics they used to get the pumpkin, I mean mule to trust them?

Happy Halloween!

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 10-31-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
interesting... wonder what tactics they used to get the pumpkin, I mean mule to trust them?

Happy Halloween!

A mule/donkey is like a dog, treat them kindly and feed them well and you have a friend for life, they'll even die for you. Treat them badly and they'll kick ya ***.

Happy Halloween to all you guys stateside hope you had have a good night.

Me, I'm afraid I am strictly non superstitious so it's not an event here, I can't help being an angel eh

Quick Reply: Any current or former Soldiers out there?