Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Choices, choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 10:23 AM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choices, choices

I posted this in my intro but thought maybe it would get just a little more traction here: I have a question. It looks like I have the opportunity to choose between two Disco's. A 1998 and a 2003 model. I do know that the 2003 has the 4.6 and I've heard good and bad about these motors. Of course both sellers claim they run good, although the 98 is currently in the shop having a fuel pump replaced. I can't really test drive them as they are about 3 hours from me in the opposite direction.

I'm leaning more towards the 2003, it just looks like it has been kept a little better. What do you guys think? If it helps, I am fairly well mechanically apt. And if I don't know how to fix it I'm pretty good at finding it on YouTube.

Ok, one more question. It looks like the 03 does not come with the CDL and that the lever parts cannot be retrofitted. Is it possible to eventually change out the transfer case for a later model that has the CDL?

Thanks in advance for any guidance y'all can offer.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:59 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

1998 is a D1, and so is a 1999

1999 and a half model year started the D2's, through 04

Yes, you Can add a cdl to an 03.
Some 03's have the center locking transfer case, and just need the cdl linkage to work.
Some 03's do not have it at all.
No 03's came with a factory working cdl with linkage.

Figure a budget, quadruple that, then plan for other things to break
Welcome to owning a D2.
It's not too late, run while you still can, lol.
There are a few good D2's left out there, but the majority need Alot of work.
Be very picky and cautious of what you buy.
Good luck.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:08 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! I'm still leaning towards the D2. According to the current owner(and we all know how that goes) it belonged to an older neighbor that traded it to him and he just isn't happy with the fuel mileage. It looks great in the pics, hoping to see it for myself Saturday.

As for repairs, I figure it can't be any worse than the ragged out Cherokee and CJ7 that I used to drive. The CJ was so rusted out it didn't have a shadow. The Cherokee was just one major repair after another. Replaced the radiator cap and the hoses blew out, fixed those and the head gasket blew. I finally just sold the tires with the body still attached.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (10-09-2019)