Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Funny old world.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, France, it is unfortunate that some psyche's are fragile and succumb to the abuse that you can find online from those with less than scrupulous intentions. Personally, I haven't had many bad experiences with FB but I can see where that could happen. I'm not a collector of friends, I can count my good friends on a hand or two and am a very private individual. I dislike those that want to accumulate 'friendships' and as much as I appreciate a 'friend request' I'm very choosy of whom I let in to my life. I don't like to ignore those requests but I guess my privacy is more important to me. I stay in contact with my college buddies, my family overseas and out of State, and a few long lost high school friends who were close and I lost contact with over the years.

Where I do resent FB is when someone requests to be my friend and I accept that request and they ''voyeur" on my activities for a while and then exit out as quickly as they came. This happened to me a few years ago - a close family friend who lives overseas. I'm not one to post photos of my cat, my dinner menu, my religious beliefs or any other type of rant (and I don't overuse the 'like' button) so it surprised me when he exited so soon after sending that request. It was a 'what in the hell did I ever do to you' moment but I was strong enough to brush it off. I think he was interested in my life, didn't find out what he wanted to know and moved on. The other thing that I resent is those people that want to be your 'friend' on the internet only but have no time for you in real life.

As for your take Scout dahling, it sounds as if you're quite mature for your 51 years of age. I wasn't aiming to hit a nerve and I'm happy that you've had a bountiful yield. I'm sure I'd like you in person even if you grate on my nerves from time to time on this forum

Old 02-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Personally I don't accept either interpretation of FB and I'll tell you why. I use it maybe a half dozen times a year between family, relatives or close friends; i.e., people I already know or have known and that's it. Without making this too personal, I initially setup an account long ago so that my youngest son could contact me. It was very important. From that initial reason I subsequently was contacted by several very close friends that I grew up with, spent time in the service with or had previously worked with. When a good friend was deployed his wife contacted me through FB. It helped her greatly to know I was there. So it hasn't been a negative experience for me. I use it as an adult for adult reasons and I haven't had one problem. So with that I say you reap what you sew in life and I've had a bountiful yield. I've been all over the world and have gained and lost many contacts over my lifetime. With this account I've regained some of what I've lost over my fifty one years and I hope it keeps returning on the investment. To each their own........

I knew exactly what I was posting and why and the only time I troll is in a Boston Whaler for Whitefish or Lake Trout. I'll skip all the rest..........
Hi Ihscouts, yes, the FB thing may work for many but I cannot see how it would work for me under the circumstances. Everyone I need to know at a personal level has my contact details if they choose to contact me. I don't criticise anyone for their lifestyle or intentions, that's entirely up to them. When you get on in years and potentially have one foot nearer the trashcan one reflects sometimes on the past and old friends and associations but I don't find them imperative to my everyday life and existence. I have always had a very strict motto which suits me 'never go back it's never the same'. Like you I have worked around the world from the US to the middle east, to the far east and accumulated many work associates over time. I was fairly recently devastated when I learned an old teenage friend had died and there were people who could and should have contacted me to let me know, but it's history and I cannot change that. Life is far too short for harbouring regrets and what might or might not have been.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone I am friends with on Facebook I know personally, a couple of groups I dont know everyone but I know people who know them. That said I have never met face to face with any one on this forum. I spoke with Disco Mike on on the phone once or twice.

However; I have communicated with some people on here that have helped me and I hope I have helped them .
If you have issues on fb you are not manageing as I do. I never let too many ''acquaintances'' as friends. Mainly close friends and family. I'm not on much but when we travel it is a good way to stay in touch with family and close Close friends.
Anonymous is easier but keep in touch with people who care.
Im sure several of us could be friends if we met.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

lol... I have to laugh at this conversation. How do people trust anymore in today's society? We're all talking about 'close Close' friendships that we developed in years past. Do we lose the ability to develop close friendships once we hit the age 40? How do people trust today? What made us so open to relationships when we were younger but now we're so skeptical? Is it due to the news, media, paranoia, or common sense? How does one become a close friend in today's day and age? Common experiences, interests, chance encounters, divine intervention? If I was to look back on how I met my closest friends I'd have to say that it was 'growing up together', being thrown into a similar situation (University, work, etc.) or common interests (playing violin, art, etc.) So I ask you forum members.. is there a point where our friend list becomes saturated and we cannot add any more? Do we become too cynical as we get older? Do we stick with what is comfortable or step outside of the box? Too deep for this thread?

Old 02-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Old 02-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by landlover_1
I'm sure I'd like you in person even if you grate on my nerves from time to time on this forum
Bi-polar meets the Equator. Back at ya....:P

Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Bi-polar meets the Equator. Back at ya....:P
I typically point to true north unless there's a gravitational pull and magnetic forces at play...thank you

Last edited by landlover_1; 02-24-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:36 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
Dusty, without a doubt if I had FB I would defo add you to my Friends, I just love your sardonic humour, seriously, which absolutely 'slays' me on many occasions, but of course though, I have to make special allowances as you are a 'YanK'

PS. What does 'Meh' mean?

Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Meh= I use it as a kind of a, self affirming man grunt/interjection.
Ex... "Meh, you don't need a hammer for that"
Then I fall to the ground with a huge knot on my head, and the realization that hammers are better for ball joint removal.

Last edited by dusty1; 02-25-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Dusty, without a doubt if I had FB I would defo add you to my Friends..
France, you do realize that there is a 'friend' button on this forum, right? hehe.. but Dusty's 'occupation' could make me think twice about pushing that button

Quick Reply: Funny old world.