Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Goodbye Rover!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013 | 01:15 PM
|
Drifting
Default Goodbye Rover!

Well it's been nice being on this board for a year. Took me that long to realize what massive, overpriced, unreliable, poorly designed pieces of **** these things are. At 79,000 miles I've had the following things fixed/replaced on my 01 Discovery:

Thermostat
Radiator
Head gaskets
Intake manifold
Headliner (interior)
Numerous coolant lines
Idler pulleys and belts
Burned out passenger door locks
Trunk handle/lock
Passenger window
Three amigos are now permanently on
Rear brakes
Axle seals
Cupholders
Various interior electrical problems
Watee pump
More stuff than I can even remember.

Ive had Ford's and Chevy's go in excess of 200,000 miles before a problem that cost me more than $500 arose. This POS was instantly a POS. In fact it was assembled as a POS at the factory. I wondered why so many people didnt take Land Rovers seriously or warned me when I got it. Now I know. I babied this thing. I beat my Chevy to death and it held up like a champ. So, its back to pickups for me and I'm sure I wont be missed. I don't know how you guys rationalize dumping money into these horrifically designed pieces of Monty Python's ****. But a laundry list of **** like that is NOT normal for well built vehicles with that mileage. Seriously, these things SUCK. Have a good one, and don't worry, I'll still TOW you guys if I pass you dumping coolant on the side of the road. To EOS40b, you are truely a gentleman and I'm proud to call you a good friend. Thanks for helping me with the Rover. But it's time for it to be destroyed. It will be taken to the next machine gun shoot at my property and obliterated. I'll have someone link a video, as I'll probably be banned. But check youtube!

Regards,

Me

Old 11-17-2013 | 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

meh,,,,it's probably just a fuse.

Last edited by dusty1; 11-17-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2013 | 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
Well it's been nice being on this board for a year. Took me that long to realize what massive, overpriced, unreliable, poorly designed pieces of **** these things are. At 79,000 miles I've had the following things fixed/replaced on my 01 Discovery:

Thermostat
Radiator
Head gaskets
Intake manifold
Headliner (interior)
Numerous coolant lines
Idler pulleys and belts
Burned out passenger door locks
Trunk handle/lock
Passenger window
Three amigos are now permanently on
Rear brakes
Axle seals
Cupholders
Various interior electrical problems
Watee pump
More stuff than I can even remember.

Ive had Ford's and Chevy's go in excess of 200,000 miles before a problem that cost me more than $500 arose. This POS was instantly a POS. In fact it was assembled as a POS at the factory. I wondered why so many people didnt take Land Rovers seriously or warned me when I got it. Now I know. I babied this thing. I beat my Chevy to death and it held up like a champ. So, its back to pickups for me and I'm sure I wont be missed. I don't know how you guys rationalize dumping money into these horrifically designed pieces of Monty Python's ****. But a laundry list of **** like that is NOT normal for well built vehicles with that mileage. Seriously, these things SUCK. Have a good one, and don't worry, I'll still TOW you guys if I pass you dumping coolant on the side of the road. To EOS40b, you are truely a gentleman and I'm proud to call you a good friend. Thanks for helping me with the Rover. But it's time for it to be destroyed. It will be taken to the next machine gun shoot at my property and obliterated. I'll have someone link a video, as I'll probably be banned. But check youtube!

Regards,

Me
Hi

What else would you do with your spare time - enjoy it!!! A lot of what you say is actually true but there is an innate obsession for us Landrover enthusiasts - masochistic obsession - or it's join Opus dei instead

Old 11-18-2013 | 09:02 PM
Rock Crawling

I haven't done that much to my 99 since I've owned it in 2000. Sounds like it must have been underwater or something??
Sorry you haven't been happy. Ive' done some work over the years but damn!

Old 11-18-2013 | 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

and good luck on the new truck.......btw, that list does not even cast shadow on an '09 dodge quad cab 3/4 ton 4x4xp.o.s. that I have. less than 100k and on the 3rd tranny/ 3rd ac/1 working window/2 broken leafsprings/etc etc. if I started a list............it would be several pages.
If I get a pick up vote...chevy. if I get an off road wagon vote....rover
good luck

Old 11-19-2013 | 07:25 AM
|
Drifting

Trust me, im NOT a dodge fan. I wanted to shoot the rover and put it on youtube but I figure itll be a MESS to clean up compared to the compacts weve shot. I could sell it but its gonna be tough with the three amigos. A dealership offered 3k for it. Anyone want? It has lots of new parts, everything in the list. Im just not waiting for the expensive fix to happen. I want it GONE.

Old 11-19-2013 | 09:40 AM
Pro Wrench

Fixing the 3 Amigos is pretty easy. You could take care of that yourself and sell it more easily but it sounds like you are more than done with this thing. Too bad you got such a crappy one. It seems like people that buy ones that weren't properly maintained by their previous owners really get screwed. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

Old 12-19-2013 | 08:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
Trust me, im NOT a dodge fan. I wanted to shoot the rover and put it on youtube but I figure itll be a MESS to clean up compared to the compacts weve shot. I could sell it but its gonna be tough with the three amigos. A dealership offered 3k for it. Anyone want? It has lots of new parts, everything in the list. Im just not waiting for the expensive fix to happen. I want it GONE.
If it has CDL, I'd take it for $1500 shipped