Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

off road

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off road

Here in west texas there are several good places to go for some off road entertainment. saturday night i found a great place just north of town. it was foggy and really dark. i'm sure most of you know how it is when its foggy and you hit the high beams, consider hitting the high beams in dense nighttime fog at a 45 degree upward angle. it looked like searchlights. it was so cool. there was a good place for some rock crawling. my friend thought i would get high centered a couple of times, i don't even think we came close. it reminded me of the rock crawling demonstration at the land rover centre. i plan to go back someday in the daylight as there are less coyotes out in the daytime.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: off road

right on man

the day i got my Disco, i waited for my little brother to get out of school and then hit the dunes (i recetly moved near pismo/grover beach, which has some suposedly famous sand dunes) it was all fun until i stoped to take a leak. i noticed it getting dark so i turned around to head back up the hill, due mostly to lack of experience, i didnt have enough speed built up and the tires started to dig. i poped it in reverse and headed back through the valeyish thing to find a less steep slope. nothing better came into veiw so i tried gunning it to get to the top of the dune. right before the slope there some 'ruts', probably big tire tracks, that i didnt see before (it was dusk mind you). anywho by that time it was too late to stop, so i did the best i could. needless to say i gave that suspension ( and my kidneys) quite a jarr. and for some unknown reason my hazzards had been on since i fired it back up after taking a ****. fun ****

needless to say, tomorrow im either heading back to the dunes for going to the ranger station to find out about trails in the hills. if anything intersting happens ill let you know.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear about your suspension and kidneys man. i have taken my freelander to the place north of town i mentioned before, the continental divide in new mexico in the mud, sand dunes in Farmington, New Mexico, and the sand dunes just south of Monahans, Texas. all of these times, with street tires, i have been very impressed so far. the only thing i can think i might ever need would be some off road tires. lol

Old 02-03-2005, 03:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my kidneys and suspension are fine. it was more "oh ****, i must have broke something" than anything really bad happening. i forgot to mention that the licence plates were in the back (just bought it) and made a glass like sound when smacking together. but thanks for your concern.

anyway, yesterday i playd around in the hills. popped my off-road cherry on this one pretty wicked hill climb. im rnning on semi-street tires myself. the first attempt, the tires started digging a bit. but a came back a few minutes later with the diff locked. you'd be amazed at how much of a differece that thing makes. i got quite a rush by the time i got to the top of that one. the radio couldnt have picked a better tune. i poped sat on the roof overlooking the valey, myself a dew, and listened to Voodoo Child.