Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Shop tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Shop tools

Hello all....

It has come time to beef up the shop tools. I have a decent budget set aside and would like some feed back.

I am about to either do (A.) a head gasket job or (B.) replace an engine in the newly acquired LR3.

I have been working with hand tools such as sockets and wrenches to date. However, I am thinking about a compressor and some air tools to help move the project(s) along as I service all of my automobiles.

I am concerned about the size/brand and reliability of the equipment and which I should consider. I.E. what size compressor will I need to have the tools running as long as work during the day, what brand air tools will give me the punch to take off rusted nuts and bolts (northeast area)and what doesn't crap out.

Cheers.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:01 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

forget the compressor go electric, l never use my compressors any more.
With all the improvement in batteries 18vt-40vt there is little need for a compressor.
everything has been remake to be cordless from tie inflators to cut off wheel.
I have a cordless 1/2 impact that can remove and install 40 lug nuts on one hr charge.
Plus with an aluminum engine it is not like you can use them on it.
HF has a great 110 volt 1/2 impact for like $40.00. Jmho

Last edited by drowssap; 04-29-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:06 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought a 33 gal oilless Craftsman vertical compressor in '98. The compressor died a couple years ago. The motor and compressor were integral so I couldn't just get a new compressor.
Until it died it was did what I needed. Oilless are generally cheaper, but they are louder and not as rugged.

I replaced it with a 60gal IR SS4L5. Separate motor and oil filled compressor. I went larger because I'd bought a blast cabinet.

For air tools I have a Craftsman 1/2" drive impact wrench (made by IR with 600 ft/lb torque). It's removed the majority of fasteners. I have had to use a 3/4" drive socket & breaker bar to remove a couple of radius arm nuts.
Also a Craftsman 1/2" and 3/8" drive air ratchet You swap the drive, which can be annoying. If it ever dies I'll replace it with dedicated 1/2 and 3/8" ratchets.
I also have an air chisel I use now and then, air sander, needle scaler (used for stress relieving welds), cut off tool and die grinder.

I bought a harbor freight 1/4" drive air ratchet a month ago and took it right back after first use. It was junk.
Some of the Craftsman air tools are made by IR. If you get those and lube them as required they should serve you well.
But don't overlook pawn shops. You can get some good deals there if you are patient.

Last edited by antichrist; 04-30-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

I was always a Craftsman or Snap-on tool person, but when Craftsman decided to get cheap on their warranty policy and refused to replace some of the tools I got a long time ago with the lifetime replacement, I went elsewhere MAC makes a good tool with a better warranty

Snap-on is hard to find unless you know someone or know where a truck stops occasionally. I agree with the cordless tools out now. I have used a nice Milwaukee brand impact at work and it does a great job!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We're an authorized dealer for Garage Equipment Supply (Car Lift, Automotive Lift, Home Garage Lift, 2-post lift, 4-post lift, Tire Changers, Wheel Balancers, Air Compressors, Brake Lathes - GES) and Dannmar.
Some of that stuff might be overkill if you're not using them day in and day out.

The following users liked this post:
drowssap (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by antichrist
I bought a 33 gal oilless Craftsman vertical compressor in '98. The compressor died a couple years ago. The motor and compressor were integral so I couldn't just get a new compressor.
Until it died it was did what I needed. Oilless are generally cheaper, but they are louder and not as rugged.

I replaced it with a 60gal IR SS4L5. Separate motor and oil filled compressor. I went larger because I'd bought a blast cabinet.

For air tools I have a Craftsman 1/2" drive impact wrench (made by IR with 600 ft/lb torque). It's removed the majority of fasteners. I have had to use a 3/4" drive socket & breaker bar to remove a couple of radius arm nuts.
Also a Craftsman 1/2" and 3/8" drive air ratchet You swap the drive, which can be annoying. If it ever dies I'll replace it with dedicated 1/2 and 3/8" ratchets.
I also have an air chisel I use now and then, air sander, needle scaler (used for stress relieving welds), cut off tool and die grinder.

I bought a harbor freight 1/4" drive air ratchet a month ago and took it right back after first use. It was junk.
Some of the Craftsman air tools are made by IR. If you get those and lube them as required they should serve you well.
But don't overlook pawn shops. You can get some good deals there if you are patient.

Thanks for all the input, I have been primarily using hand tools. And to be honest, the other day my hands were bothering me for the first time ever. I think that I am starting to feel my actual age and the days of me being able to brute strength the rusted parts off the cars and trucks might be dialing back.
I love pawn shops. I bought a Milwaukee sawsall in a pawn shop in Florida because I was cutting exhaust pipe and it has done well by me. Came in the case and had extra blades in the box. There is a certain amount of guilt for me capitalizing off of other peoples misfortune but I like a deal like the next guy. So be it.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jimvw57
I was always a Craftsman or Snap-on tool person, but when Craftsman decided to get cheap on their warranty policy and refused to replace some of the tools I got a long time ago with the lifetime replacement, I went elsewhere MAC makes a good tool with a better warranty

Snap-on is hard to find unless you know someone or know where a truck stops occasionally. I agree with the cordless tools out now. I have used a nice Milwaukee brand impact at work and it does a great job!

I like the pro tools idea but I don't know a Snap On guy or a tool truck guy. And there needs to be a happy balance between value, practicality and reliability. Whatever I spend my money on, I like to have things not be underpowered. That is the worst. When a tool just bogs down and stops. I am a firm believer in letting the tool do its job but sometimes is needs guidance too. To that end, I need it to be tough.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by OEMPartHaus.com
We're an authorized dealer for Garage Equipment Supply (Car Lift, Automotive Lift, Home Garage Lift, 2-post lift, 4-post lift, Tire Changers, Wheel Balancers, Air Compressors, Brake Lathes - GES) and Dannmar.
Some of that stuff might be overkill if you're not using them day in and day out.

Tom,

Thanks for reaching out. I have looked at your website and will keep you in mind when it comes to shop purchases.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:54 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thefamily
I like the pro tools idea but I don't know a Snap On guy or a tool truck guy.
Just go to a local garage and ask what days the snap-on/matco/mac dealer comes around.
Worst case, you can order Snap-On tools from snapon.com.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Default I did not know that.

Originally Posted by antichrist
Just go to a local garage and ask what days the snap-on/matco/mac dealer comes around.
Worst case, you can order Snap-On tools from snapon.com.

I had no idea you could order those tools online. I never looked because I saw the trucks and just assumed it was for pros with a pro account at shops.

Quick Reply: Shop tools