Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

This should be a fun weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default This should be a fun weekend

A Brit pal is racing in these races on the weekend of the 19-21 September 2014. He has treated us to an apartment in a converted monastery overlooking the river Charente for that weekend in Angouleme (he's not short of a few $$$$$$$$ - software tycoon) It's is going to be a very social fun weekend with lots of motor racing, probably some spannering no doubt, and fun food and wine evenings and - no driving I'll post some photos when we return.

Circuit des Remparts d'Angoulme - Home ..... also available in English on the link.

Appart'City Angouleme in Angouleme, France - Best Rates Guaranteed | LetsBookHotel

Old 09-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Baja

Angouleme this coming weekend, Circuit de Remparts racing, lots of vintage old cr@p (bit like some LR's) racing around. It should be a spectacle as a pal is racing his old Austin 7 sports, it should have been his FN but that's got terminal cylinder head cracks and other problems, sound familiar. I'll post some photos and data afterwards if anyone is interested in automotive relics

Old 09-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Baja

Interesting and strange weekend. Some very interesting and very expensive old cars and some modernish cars racing. Very disappointing viewing wherever around the circuit as at best you can only see about 400+ yards of the track. The best viewing was on the large monitors and the one in the pits area but, a big but, it kept going blank and breaking down. For an international FIA event the organisation was absolutely rubbish, appalling, they even lost the practice times of one class and canvassed the participating drivers then 'guessed' the grid positions. There were many other **** ups as well. In all honesty I wouldn't bother to go again as much is given over to eating and drinking to excess (lots of drunken people there in the evening) and the 'after racing' social activities. Thankfully we were only an hours travel from home so no real issues but if we'd travelled for 24 hours or more like many others I'd have been seriously disappointed. The rented hotel appartments/suites, contrary to some unfair reviews, were excellent (the only problem was a 1 mile walk to the town centre up a very steepish hill). I'll post some of the photos after I've downloaded them from the camera.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Welcome back Offroad Sounds like you had an 'interesting' time. Any thoughts on sleeping in a converted monastery? I love converted properties - converted lifeboat stations on the sea, converted chicken coops, converted barns - you name it:

converted=intrigue. That and treehouses....

Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Welcome back Offroad Sounds like you had an 'interesting' time. Any thoughts on sleeping in a converted monastery? I love converted properties - converted lifeboat stations on the sea, converted chicken coops, converted barns - you name it:

converted=intrigue. That and treehouses....
Hmmm, a rather frenetic weekend which didn't need to be so. It became evident that the vintage racing was superfluous, an excuse, and the main pre-occupation was eating and drinking to excess, rushing around and disappearing up their own jacksies rather than some simple forethought - not my idea of a race weekend.

As for the accommodation, it was excellent and although it was an old 'abbey' in fact apart from the ground floor public areas and the courtyards there was little evidence of it's history, age and former use. The apartments/suites were very modern and well equiped and one would imagine them to be part of a good quality 3/4 star hotel.

No spiritual 'visitings' or 'experiences' there though

I like good quality conversions to old buildings but I like modern conveniences and furniture. We live in an old Charentais farmhouse but the interior is refurbished to modern standards but retaining some old stone walls and oak beams although these have been lime washed grey as oak is too dark. Our furniture is modern Scandanavian style interspersed with the occasional old antique (no, no, not my wife ) and the utility and kitchen is modern oak cupboards.

The best bit is the modern garage with the exterior which looks old and a 11'00" high ceiling with a roller shutter door especially for the mini digger and the 4x4's etc.

I also like ultra modern buildings and quirky refurbs but not badly refurbed buildings as some are.

I'll post some photos of the weekend later today, nothing really stunning though as I didn't get too much opportunity for photography.