Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Thoughts on Colorado ZR2

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 06:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Thoughts on Colorado ZR2

I know it may be blasphemy but what are peoples thoughts on the Colorado zr2 and even the bison edition? There has been crazy deals on new trucks in my local area and I’ve been tempted to get a full size. Thought it would be nice to have a pickup again and be able to tow my d2 to far away off-road trips if I wanted. I trade my wife’s navigator in for a 4Runner so we no longer have a good tow rig.
while at the dealer checking out new Silverado’s I kept getting drawn to the bison edition Colorado. I drove them both and to be honest I really really liked the drive of the Colorado.
so my heads been spinning since. If anyone has any experience with one or knows of someone who has, has seen them work in the trail, they lease chime in.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

One of my friends has a ZR2 and absolutely loves it. Zero issues with it, and he was going to buy a Raptor, but he prefers the Colorado for it's smaller size, and he drives it daily as well as off road.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

They are a nice looking truck that seems very solid. I'm a Ford man and if I was going midsize pickup I would be looking at the Ranger

Old 12-09-2020, 03:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Just checked tow rating...7000 lbs. You'd be at the max, or beyond, with a 5000 lb rover (4700ish empty of fuel and gear) and a 2200 lb trailer. Probably, the only way around it would be an aluminum trailer...want to say they were around 1400 lbs when l was looking.

Do like the size of the mid-size trucks now. Guys at work were asking about the engine swap on the 110. Said, if it gives me one more issue...l'm on my way to the dealer for a new colorado and l'll see alaska without it...lol.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

It’s a friggin Chevy. Enough said. How many Tahoe’s and trucks do you see driving with one headlight out? That has been a problem they can’t fix for over 10 years.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:28 AM
Camel Trophy

Personally, l'll take a headlight out over a slipped liner/head gasket job/engine swap/trans replacement because of the driveshaft destruction design/coil pack change/rotted out frame patching-replacement...any day of the week.

We'd probably see more LR's with one headlight...if they could make one that outlasted a bulb...lol.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
It’s a friggin Chevy. Enough said. How many Tahoe’s and trucks do you see driving with one headlight out? That has been a problem they can’t fix for over 10 years.
The day time lights on gm stuff is funny. They don't come on until you are in drive, and they are not on when you have regular headlights on... so usually people don't know they are burned out, even if they check their lights before driving. I bought one used and wouldn't have known except that a few weeks after purchase I pulled in to a spot opposite a glass window and saw one burned out... i put it in park and the other one turned off lol... if they had both been burned out, I would never have even known it had those lights.
if you wanna talk about vehicles that eat a headlamp every three weeks we can discuss Mercedes Sprinters.
As far as the thread goes... I dont like towing near vehicles max capacities and always prefer largest possible for towing, these midsize trucks have huge numbers (like equivalent to my former 93 f250 diesel lol) and people say the colorado tows well but wheel base length is king for non scary towing. But I don't have experience with a newer midsize towing near capacity.

Last edited by TexasLandmark; 12-10-2020 at 09:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 12:02 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TexasLandmark
The day time lights on gm stuff is funny. They don't come on until you are in drive, and they are not on when you have regular headlights on... so usually people don't know they are burned out, even if they check their lights before driving. I bought one used and wouldn't have known except that a few weeks after purchase I pulled in to a spot opposite a glass window and saw one burned out... i put it in park and the other one turned off lol... if they had both been burned out, I would never have even known it had those lights.
if you wanna talk about vehicles that eat a headlamp every three weeks we can discuss Mercedes Sprinters.
As far as the thread goes... I dont like towing near vehicles max capacities and always prefer largest possible for towing, these midsize trucks have huge numbers (like equivalent to my former 93 f250 diesel lol) and people say the colorado tows well but wheel base length is king for non scary towing. But I don't have experience with a newer midsize towing near capacity.
Yep, like the stability of our Silverado...while hauling the car trailer loaded. But the Dll feels a little like the "tail-wagging-the-dog" while pulling the travel trailer (17 footer)...even though it is well below the max tow weight. Wheel-base is huge while hauling.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Not going to lie when it's time to tow, I walk right past the line of Land Rovers in the drive and climb in the Excursion. Right tool for the job.