Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Wannabe mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 04:22 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wannabe mechanic

I have Disco 2 in country and in whole country there is no LR diagnostic.

My car is getting older and there are everyday more issues with it.

Few months ago SRS light is always on, none of mechanics does not know what to do, although all of them knows that that is something connected with airbag.

Last month both key fobs started to work only sometimes. Reading forums I have found out that only thing I can change regarding alarm/key is alarm/key reciver without reprogramming and all by myself.

I have bought reciver, changed it using Rave manual(I know nothing about cars, only how to drive) and now one key fob works great and another one does not work at all.

Without EKA ( I don't have it nor LR has it in their database) and only one working key fob, I need spare key.

Now, I do not know what to do. To order only new key or to by Nanocom Evolution so I can reprogram my old key.
I would like to go with cheaper option(new key) but Nanocom would be nice to have.

Is it hard to find what is wrong with Nanocom for my local mehanics who does not know LRs very good?
I dont know cars so I would need mechanic to do stuff for me, that Nanocom says should be done.

I do not understand why Nanocom Evolution for Discovery 2 TD5 is almost £200 more expensive on Ebay from BlackBoxSolution that Nanocom on official web site? Can someone tell me what is the difference?

Thanks

Old 09-08-2015, 03:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tomo:
So what country are you in?
If you plan to keep the car, I would recommend that you invest in a Nanocom. Sorry.

Now for a plan. A good place to start is the seatbelt pre-tensioners where they are connected usually under the seat, quite often happens if the seat has been moved after a long period in one place. The wire should have a yellow sheath, try disconnecting and re-connecting the plug a few times (ignition off) don't know if the Disco auto resets or an EOBD reader is needed. What sets off the SRS light? It can be something as simple as dust in the seat belt sensor. Try connecting and disconnecting the passenger side seat belt 20 or 30 times in a row with the truck running. Then restart the truck. If that doesn't work then try going to an empty parking lot turning the wheel all the way in one direction then start driving and just let the wheel work its way back to center. If you hear any unusual whining or other sound coming from the steering wheel it is the driver side airbag module that needs replacement. Another common problem is a short at the ground of either the driver side of passengar side seat belt pre-tensioner (where the seat belt clicks into). Check the bolt that holds the pre-tensioners in place. Loosen it and try tightening it down again. This is an eletrical ground for the pre-tensioner.

If you get a diagnostic from a Nanocom it will tell you exactly what the problem is. If you need a new seat belt pre-tensioner, try this first. Click and unclick the seat belt times. Sometimes dust builds up in the pre-tensioner and causes the connection to seem faulty. After re-starting the truck if the light stays on then you have two options. The best bet is to get one from the dealer new. $218. You will need your VIN. Your second option is to get one used. Besides seat belt pre-tensioners another common problem is the airbag units themselves. These I would suggest buying the part new from Land Rover and installing it yourself. Installation is fairly easy for both. Again disconnect the battery for about ten minutes before handling the SRS system.

Next, try a 'hard reset' - which is admittedly a bit of a bush mechanic approach. Unhook both terminals on the battery, wait a ten minutes, then touch the cable terminal ends together for a few minutes. This is the cables, NOT THE BATTERY terminals. BE SURE you are not touching the cable ends together while connected to the battery. After doing so for a few minutes, leave it alone, give it a half hour to think about things, reorganize the molecules in the little electronic brain, etc. and then reconnect the terminals to the battery. Maybe, just maybe, it might clear the fault.

You would almost pay for a Nanocom by using it to reprogram your key fobs. They are not cheap. Like you have already done, shop for the best price and order one.

Finally, this is posted in the "off topic" section. Since you have a D2, have a technical problem, why not post it on the D2 forum and let the experts help you out? They know a lot more than I do.

Last edited by Joe Btfsplik; 09-08-2015 at 03:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tomo (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 06:02 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot.
Will try everything you have suggested

I am in Bosnia and Herzegovina(Europe).

I have strange sound when I steer to the right( to passinger side).

I think I am going to buy Nanocom

I can not move thread to Disco 2 section, but I will ask other questions I have there.