Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

You chose a Land Rover over a Toyota? Why

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:55 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool You chose a Land Rover over a Toyota? Why

Ive been watching the youtube channel "Expedition Overland":

Been watching the series they have about treking the country with a small group of people, in 2 Toyota's. A Land Cruiser and a Tacoma. The main character in the series speaks very highly of Toyota's reliability. He says hes driven cross country in a Toyota with any issues, not even a check engine light. He goes on to say that he chooses Toyota for overlanding because he needs something he can depend on, something that will get him back home, something that will always run and require little more than brakes and basic fluid changes. Im not sure but I think Ive read that even early 2000's Land Cruisers had a center and rear differential lockers along with other things that seems to imply that they are better equipped from the factory.

Im working my *** off to prepare for my own cross country Overland and I admit, after watching the series Im starting to wonder these things myself.

1: Is a Land Rover Discovery 2 (or any Rover for that matter) ideal for Overlanding?

2: Is the Land Cruiser and Tacoma better fitted from factory with the goodies that enhance off roading capabilities?

3: Should I go forward with my Discovery and follow my dreams or give in to temptation and other peoples positive Toyota reviews and invest in a Land Cruiser?

4: Why are you tickering with and overlanding/off-roading with a Land Rover? Why not switch out your truck for a Toyota?

5: Reassure me that Im making the right choice with my Disco....

Old 10-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

#5........choice....

Old 10-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Land cruisers, 4runners, and Tacomas are GREAT vehicles. I also think they are ugly. Not everything is just about quality.

Later FZJ80 land cruisers came with three lockers and solid axles. They are very capable vehicles, and some trim levels will seat up to 8.

The Tacoma with an optimal rear locker is because the front suspension is IFS and the rear is leaf sprung and there isn't a lot of flex. The Toyota guys refer to it as the ifs hand stand, because they'll pick up a rear wheel on very mild terrain. The locker was to counter that problem.

The two main reasons I have land rovers is cost and how they drive. An 80 series land cruiser would have 300,000 miles in it before it gets into D2 price range. Heck even then it would probably cost more.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:13 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by jafir
Land cruisers, 4runners, and Tacomas are GREAT vehicles. I also think they are ugly. Not everything is just about quality.

Later FZJ80 land cruisers came with three lockers and solid axles. They are very capable vehicles, and some trim levels will seat up to 8.

The Tacoma with an optimal rear locker is because the front suspension is IFS and the rear is leaf sprung and there isn't a lot of flex. The Toyota guys refer to it as the ifs hand stand, because they'll pick up a rear wheel on very mild terrain. The locker was to counter that problem.

The two main reasons I have land rovers is cost and how they drive. An 80 series land cruiser would have 300,000 miles in it before it gets into D2 price range. Heck even then it would probably cost more.

I have found a couple early 2000's Land Cruisers selling between $6,000-$12,000. No newer than the Land Cruisers used in the above lined video channels. So is looks and price the only reason you guys stick to Rovers? How does say a D2 or D3 compare to a Land Cruiser or 4Runner off road?

Old 10-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I like walking out to my Land Rover and wondering if it will start this time. I enjoy getting my exercise walking home or catching up on my reading while waiting for a tow truck.

You buy what makes you happy, Land Rovers make me happy so I have Land Rovers.

Rover's have a soul, I've never said that about a Toyota.

Buy what makes you happy, unless your a worrier than you should just buy a Toyota or Honda.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 10-21-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

but then....

and then....

there is something to be said for "not breaking down"

What I don't get is.... why don't the brits do what the Japs are doin if it works so good ?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Ford helped out quite a bit in that regard. The powertrain management on the LR3 is all denso stuff, which is what Honda and Toyota use. Jaguar did a great job engineering the AJ-V8, and it's been around for enough years that Land Rover got to miss all of the early issues with magic cylinder liner material and timing chain issues. (For the most part). People have gotten 200,000+ miles without major engine or transmission issues. Of course it wouldn't be a land rover if the whole thing was bullet proof, so of course there are some suspension and differential issues.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:46 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have to ask why a Land Rover, then maybe they are not the right truck for you. Choosing a Rover is a choice of passion not sensibilities. I've tried to switch brands several times, but when it comes down to it I just can't see myself wheeling in anything else.

Jeeps are capable off roaders but they just feel flimsy to me. Toyota's are reliable and probably just as capable but I just don't get that same feeling of joy when I walk out and see a toyota. I would say it's also a factor of cost. But honestly even if I won the lotto I would not buy a toyota.

Think of it in terms of women, would you rather have the plain looking woman, that's sensible, reliable, well behaved and predictable. Or would you rather have the hot one with the firey temper. That will keep you on your toes and wondering what will set them off next. I know which type I married.

I don't overland, nor do I want to. I mostly just trail ride. However, if I was going to take a rover overlanding I would probably go with an LR3.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:48 AM
TReK

Just acquired some doubts after watching a series on youtube titles Overland Expedition Alaska. I was not impressed with how they performed off the pavement but the people in the series made some arguable points about the benefits of a Toyota. Truth is I dont like how they look with exception to the new 4runner, it looks beefy. I still love my Disco and I love Land Rovers. Just tempted sometimes to consider other more reliable and perhaps cheaper options so that I can focus more of my funds on modifications for the overland rather than mechanical. That said I think its reasonable for me to have my doubts. Im preparing for a 4,600? mile overland trek in April and Im fully anticipating doing the headgasekts, cooling system, 02 sensors front and rear, plus some additions such as off road lighting, storage containes, ladder, fuel cans etc. Im looking at roughly $4,000 right there, and thats not counting the $$$$ Ive already put into this truck. Seems like it takes forever before you can finally get around to adding the fun stuff to these trucks.

That said I know the feeling of happiness we get when we are in our Rovers. They do feel just right. Hard to explain.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It all depends on where you're driving too. I would be a lot less concerned driving across the U.S. than I would driving through South America.

Quick Reply: You chose a Land Rover over a Toyota? Why