Other All other Land Rover vehicles.

Series IIa ExMOD RHD. What to know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series IIa ExMOD RHD. What to know?

OK, I'm new here. I am "looking at" via internet a ExMOD RHD camoflauged Series IIa. I love Britsh cars. I've had a Spit and 3 TR6s and I have always had a real soft spot for these and the price is right ($2.5K). I have not seen any pictures yet. His digi is doggy. I think it would make a good stable mate for my TR6. Plus a good rig to get out to the Oregon out back before they lock it all up. I'm not real wild about the RHD (in the USA). I'm getting excited just typing about it. BTW, the guy has a 109 5 door w/94 defender diesle in it. I don't know his bottom line but I know I can't afford it. The pictures he had on that one look great.

The exchange has been going like this;

"--forgot- the 109 has engine and tranny from a 1994 defender. 2.5l, 4 spd with 42k original miles and misc. upgrades."

Got pictures.

"--Beautiful Truck! My wife would love it except for the RHD. But I'm sure you want more than I can afford. I'm trying to hold myself to $5K. What about the IIa?"

"--the 2a needs some work. would sell for $2500."

"--"Some work." I know the "English" translation on my TR6 means possible blown head gasket (if I'm lucky) and worn out bottom end. I'm not really set up for engine work. How's the body? Body and paint can be as expensive. Breaks, suspension, electrics are fine."

"--i also understand the english terms to be vague. its nowhere near that. it hasnt been started in a while- 4 months. but ran to the spot its parked. the body is ok, as older rovers are aluminum. its painted camouflage, and is an exmod. rhd. i paint, so i am willing to discuss with the new owner, and examples of my work are here at my home. brakes are new, lights are new, suspension is fine. a fully charged battery, some good new fuel, and some starting fluid and i think she'd go just fine."

"--Camouflage. Exmod. rhd. Bloody 'ell. This is interesting. Never drove RHD before. Is everything backwards? Is it real MOD camouflage or suedo cammo? Might just go with my Lee Enfield!"

"--not everything is backward. takes a touch of getting used to, but my girlfriend did it without problems. the camo is real militart of defence camo."

Now if it has inboard headlights and a hard top I'm in real trouble.

The problem is I was really looking for a Disco and found one for $1.8K ---"
it runs hot but doesn't boil over I had it examined by a mechanic and was told its just the thermostat, and brakes need to be done.....let me know if your interested in seeing it....it only overheats going up hill to btw." HMMM. Head gasket maybe?

The problem is that I'm really looking for a some time truck for hunting, camping, exploring...things a Land Rover should be used for. A good old beater Disco that when I'm done with I'd just take it to the scrap yard would be practical but a ExMOD RHD camoflauged Series IIa??!! Lord help me! What to do, what to do!!??