Other All other Land Rover vehicles.

Series III Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series III Advice Needed

I have the opportunity to get a free Series III. It is a 1973 88. I haven't seen it yet but I know that the owner says the frame is bad. I can go look at it this weekend. Is there any advice on what I should ask about, look out for, etc? I have an old Disco but know virtually nothing technically about Series LRs. I love them and always wanted one and can put cash into it, so if I can get away with repairs for less than a decent runner as a knock about car I would be into it. There is a great LR shop nearby and I have can budget $5K or more which might be cheaper than buying.

I am told it runs but don't know more than that yet.

Advice?

Pat

Old 07-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the frame is bad, odds are the bulkhead (the part between the passenger compartment and the engine) is rotted as well. Those 2 items will just about eat up your $5000 (if you do the work yourself). Not saying you shouldn't take it but the frame is like the foundation in a house. That being said, a lot of people replace frames and they are available (galvanized to eliminate the rust) from many different suppliers.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:00 PM
4wd Low

Yeah & thanks. I saw the frame on Rovers North for $2,600. I am not sure the extent to which the frame is bad. I will add asking about the bulkhead to my list of questions.

Any other things to worry about? Engine questions? Known gearbox follies? I have heard of plenty of things to check on a Disco but don't know where to start on a Series.

I am not looking for perfection. Quite the opposite. I want a cheap truck to drive around and have fun with and not care if it is rusty and ugly. Just safe.

And at worst I may be able to help someone else here get a hold of a parts vehicle if they don't mind coming to Rhode Island.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good place to start would be reading this article. Land Rover FAQ - Repair & Maintenance - Series - What to look for

Old 07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
4wd Low

Many thanks. If I hop on the ferry and go take a look I will try to snap some pics in case someone else can use it for parts.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM
4wd Low

BKreutz, great link. Many thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. I will have to do a little web research to see what a few of those parts and what they look like but this gives me a great start. As I said, the vehicle is free aside from the cost of me getting off the island on a ferry so this is perfect to figure out if it can be salvaged as a project.