Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Discovery 1 Steering Damper Relocation Brackets!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Discovery 1 Steering Damper Relocation Brackets!

FOR SALE: Discovery 1 Steering Damper Relocation Brackets, I have two sets available. Price is $90 shipped per set, including all necessary mounting hardware.

Background: I have had several forum members approach me about my steering damper mod as seen here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...rackets-40527/ Specifically they want to know what it would cost for me to make them a set. So to simplify things I made two extra kits and am posting them here.

Details: these brackets are bent from ~ 1/4" and ~ 1/8" mild plate steel for the frame bracket and tie-rod bracket (respectively), fillet welded using MIG for reinforcement, sand blasted, painted in flat black base coat, and clear-coated for finish. I am not claiming they are DOT approved, nor am I assuming any liability, but I have tested my own set for over 150 miles of heavy off-road use and 300 miles on-road without failure.

Brackets are hand built and will have minor imperfections. However the pictures are representative. NOTE: hardware includes U-bolts to fit up to a 1-1/8" tie rod, since some aftermarket rods are smaller than stock. I bolted them on my stock 1" tie rod and they work fine as long as you don't over-tighten them.

EDIT: See post #4 for pricing.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 04-11-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Pricing
Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Winching

Still available.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Winching

Anyone for steering damper goodness? Maybe I should remind people of the atrocious stock location. Talk about easy to snag! When I installed my kit, I gained about an inch of axle clearance, all I need to worry about now is aiming the differential...

Attached Thumbnails Discovery 1 Steering Damper Relocation Brackets!-cimg1455.jpg   Discovery 1 Steering Damper Relocation Brackets!-cimg1436.jpg   Discovery 1 Steering Damper Relocation Brackets!-cimg1437.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Winching

I've had some extra shop time lately so I updated the design and dropped the price a bit on these. I have two complete sets available as of today.

Pricing:
A full set including hardware is now $70
A full set without hardware is $60
Either of the brackets without hardware (split up a set) for $40.

Price includes sandblasting, a primer basecoat, semi-gloss enamel paint top coat, and shipping within the US.

I decided to move the bracket forward, angle it, and offset the holes to allow for an extra 1/2" or so of suspension travel, which should really only be an issue if you go airborne (not recommended).

I've also eliminated the angle in the frame bracket since it was difficult to get a shallow enough bend, and I don't want to interfere with jounce. The tie rod brackets have remained the same. Note that if you over-tighten the tie rod brackets, they tend to deform slightly.

Here are three of the new frame brackets, sandblasted and unfinished:

Here are two frame brackets with primer and topcoat:

New frame bracket installed with my original tie rod bracket:

Closeup of new frame bracket:

Installation instructions:

Install as pictured. Washers are recommended on both sides so you don't pinch the frame and/or bracket out of shape. You can pinch the bracket directly to the frame (as I did) or place an extra washer behind the bracket on the upper bolt to avoid deformation. This is a matter of preference, the bracket will function correctly either way.

Use 7/16" grade 8 hardware or M12 grade 8.8 and nyloc washers. I don't have a torque spec but get them tight enough that they won't come loose accidentally. The holes in the bracket are 9/16" and the holes in the frame are roughly 1/2", so there is some intentional play to ensure fitment. Push the bracket upward while tightening the bolts to leave maximum clearance for the front tie rod.

I recommend measuring the collapsed and extended lengths of your steering damper, then averaging the two lengths to get a desired mounting length. Position the brackets accordingly. Once everything is installed, have a helper watch as you turn the wheels lock-to-lock to check clearance. Test drive. If installed properly, the driving feel should be identical to stock.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 03-26-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Adding installation instructions
Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good looking setup for those that an easy bolt on mod.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Good looking setup for those that an easy bolt on mod.
Thanks!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't wait to see mine....thanks Dood!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you still have any available?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by NCguy
Do you still have any available?
I have one more complete set. Note that these require Pro-Comp or any steering stabilizer that has a stud on each end.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tyler...what are the length of the bolts? 14&16?

Quick Reply: Discovery 1 Steering Damper Relocation Brackets!