General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12' Supercharged RRS engine knock/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 12' Supercharged RRS engine knock/rattle

So my wife's 12' supercharged RRS is making a slight knocking/rattle sound that seems to be coming from the front of the engine. It doesn't have that exhaust leak ticking noise but more of a rattle/knocking sound. I tried searching but didn't find anything pertaining to this.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:45 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water pump. Just happened to me.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Old 10-14-2017, 04:00 AM
6th Gear

Water pump.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:17 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by tanglewood
Water pump.
The main or auxiliary one?

Old 10-14-2017, 11:26 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by WYRover
The main or auxiliary one?
Main, right under your throttle body. I just signed up here. I have a 2011 RRS SC and this just happened to me. Left me stranded on the side of the interstate. I joined this forum to try and track down a part number for the little plastic fitting that plugs into the front of the water pump. I broke it when I took the water pump off. I was able to find it though, after 3 days.

But yeah man, mine started making a really bad knocking sound from the front. Sounded just like yours. I thought it was something in the valve train, maybe the timing chains, but it was the water pump. In my case, what looks like happened, is the pulley started wobbling and eventually failed and seized up sideways against the water pump, of course shredding the belt in the process. You might want to pull the top engine cover off and look down at that pulley while the engines running... see if it's dancing around. But even if it's not, I'd be willing to bet it's your water pump. Sorry man.... common problem though. And the water pump that I pulled off of it wasn't LR, it was aftermarket, so that means this is the second one to go out. lol... just is what it is...

The following users liked this post:
WYRover (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by tanglewood
Main, right under your throttle body. I just signed up here. I have a 2011 RRS SC and this just happened to me. Left me stranded on the side of the interstate. I joined this forum to try and track down a part number for the little plastic fitting that plugs into the front of the water pump. I broke it when I took the water pump off. I was able to find it though, after 3 days.

But yeah man, mine started making a really bad knocking sound from the front. Sounded just like yours. I thought it was something in the valve train, maybe the timing chains, but it was the water pump. In my case, what looks like happened, is the pulley started wobbling and eventually failed and seized up sideways against the water pump, of course shredding the belt in the process. You might want to pull the top engine cover off and look down at that pulley while the engines running... see if it's dancing around. But even if it's not, I'd be willing to bet it's your water pump. Sorry man.... common problem though. And the water pump that I pulled off of it wasn't LR, it was aftermarket, so that means this is the second one to go out. lol... just is what it is...
What did you replace it with?

Old 10-14-2017, 01:57 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

I think he is referring to the oil cooler pipe LR028136
Remember you need the Oring too. You can see the bits here> Water Pump Kit: Fits The LR4, Range Rover Full Size And Sport

Old 10-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Three Wheeling

tanglewood did you use a genuine LR water pump or an aftermarket one?

Old 10-14-2017, 04:01 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

You want a genuine water pump. I've heard of a few failures with aftermarket pumps. Buy it from wherever you want, but that's the one > Range Rover Water Pump Kit With Genuine Water Pump Part
Whatever you do AVOID the biggest TURD of all (GMB)> http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....502899&jsn=352

Last edited by OverRover; 10-14-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 12' Supercharged RRS engine knock/rattle