General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Range Rover SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:37 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Range Rover SC

I recently purchased a pre-owned Range Rover SC. The vehicle has 45K miles and just found out that both Catalytic Converters are bad (obviously this is covered under my Emission Warranty); but has anyone else had a similar experience. Seems too soon for these components to have failed.

Another issue - my CATS are being ordered and will be replaced very soon. Another issue I'm having now is a faint clicking like sound...the noise is only heard when the vehicle is stopped at an idle position. Any thoughts...? Could this be related to my Cats too?

Finally, last question. Other have told me to never trust the fuel indicator and always get gas topped off when your near 1/4 of a tank...is the fuel indicator really that unreliable...I would hate to ride it down to the last 20 miles or so...then suddenly run out of gas.

Finally, looking into extended warranty options...anyone have experience with NAC, Protective, or EasyCare?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

As far as the fuel indicator goes, I don't know whether to trust it or not, BUT the reason I never let mine go below 1/2 to 1/4 tank is because the fuel in the tank helps cool the pump. A cooler running pump makes for a longer lasting pump. People that always run their tank to near empty before refueling will have to replace their fuel pump much sooner than those who keep their tank above 1/4.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People that always run their tank to near empty before refueling will have to replace their fuel pump much sooner than those who keep their tank above 1/4.
Hmmm, interesting. Might explain some things....

The "ticking" noise, is typical for those jaguar v8s. Our XJR does it ALL the time (it has the same engine yours does, minus the supercharger). It doesn't matter what kind of oil we use either. The Jag has been making the noise since new. As long as its not a loud tap, I wouldn't be too concerned.

As far as warranties go... they are hard to get for rovers because, of their notoriously expensive repairs. The warranty companies are basically insurance companies, only they insure the operation of the vehicle instead of damage. Like any insurance company, they are out to make money. That being said, it is going to be an expensive warranty (figure between 3 to 5k). We have an extended warranty on one of our other vehicles with Zurich. So far we have made 3 claims and they have been very responsive and helpful.