General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swb or lwb for kids

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Swb or lwb for kids

Been looking at a few rrcs lately. I get the whole 8" difference only rear leg room thing. I am wondering more about ease of entering and exiting the rear (for kids and car seats, I can't get in either back seat , very well) . Is it that much of a difference? I like the last swb, I looked at. Great looking truck. Straight, clean, white, but it seems to be comparable to the absence of room behind the driver as my disco. The best lwb I have viewed had some drawbacks ....room appeared better, but the truck itself was not to my liking....color didn't suit me and engine just rebuilt. Not interested in running the rover engine in it, so I didn't want to pay a price that reflected it.

Long shot but Anyone loaded kids in each of these? Twin girls and 1 on the way.
Also is the ride noticeably smoother with the extra few inches? I am still waiting to find a lwb that tickles my fancy, but I'd hate to miss out on the swb if the differences are not enough to be a factor. I personally like the look of the swb trucks more. Plus the one I like is in need of an engine and only has 130k on it.

Last edited by dusty1; 07-31-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

your bit now, a disco, now an RRC, next you'll be looking for a good p-38.
mine is a swb so I can't help.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, had a 110 project that has been a heartbreaking discovery of rot and rust. not feasible, so for now I am moving on, for immediate future. Will have to find a better starting point for that project. Maybe I can make a friend in Customs.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you could use this guys connections, Aaron Richardet, the chiropractor.
i dont think he will be using then soon.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I think I will stay away from dr. A.
His are more like disconnections

Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

The difference is amazing in the rear of a LWB and makes life much more livable. I know 8" doesn't sound like much but it really is a huge difference.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by armyrover
i know 8" doesn't sound like much but it really is a huge difference.
that's what she said.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Used to have (traded last October) a 95 LWB that still has the air suspension (surprisingly worked great)... I personally wished it was a SWB for looks and I had no purpose for the 8 extra inches. But let me tell you that the space back there was insane! So much room.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I run an RRS 3.0TD and the difference between that and the D2 TD5 is chalk and cheese. It's comfortable and very quiet with loads of room in the second row and also more economical. For a tarmac wagon it takes some beating as you can cruise comfortably all day at 80-90mph with no strain. We nearly always use the RRS for the 600 miles trip back to the UK but now and again the D2, it depends what we are collecting over there or doing, particularly where we are parking 'cos you get vandalised on a French plate. They are also super safe for a family in case of an accident ......... an airbag for everyone.....

Funny story. About 10 years ago we took our French neighbour out for lunch in the D2 when it was near new. She was in the back second row. Now she stands about 5'0" tall but is about the same width . When we arrived at the resto she jumped down with some help and due to her ...........eeerrr............girth, she got stuck between the rear door and the wheel arch, I always knew they were too narrow and she proved it.

In fact I didn't answer the specific question posed. My RRS is a SWB but is adequate for 2 people and occasionally 4. For a family with kids I would go for the LWB 'cos they grow up quickly and use a lot more space. Given the option for an SWB and LWB in a family situation I'd go with the LWB + it can carry more junk in the trunk if needs be. Of course there is always the Toyota Landcruiser which a pal has and that is huge inside, you can hold a party in it.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 08-06-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
The difference is amazing in the rear of a LWB and makes life much more livable. I know 8" doesn't sound like much but it really is a huge difference.
x2

I've owned many LWB's and SWB's over the years. I do like the appearance of the SWB but in terms of use, the LWB is such a better ride and so much more convenient. Also, you can really feel the difference between a well tuned 4.2L and a 3.9L engine. If I found one of each in comparable condition I would opt for the LWB in an instant.

Quick Reply: Swb or lwb for kids