Range Rover L460 (Fifth Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover 460 within.

Range Rover EV in prototype testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 11:29 AM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Cool Range Rover EV in prototype testing

Press release at JLR

Old 12-15-2023, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

With it's focus on comfort and quietness it's a vehicle that's a natural match to an EV powertrain.

I just see big problems with all these luxury brands who are going through the capex of EV adaptation and trying to pass along the cost to their customers while old Musk is sitting out there annihilating everyone on pricing because he can make money on vehicles at price points where other brands are losing money. And these luxury brands like PAG, BME, MB, haven't gotten the memo because they are pricing their EVs similarly to what they've historically priced everything else.

Is an MS Plaid as good a car overall as a Taycan Turbo S? No. But it is faster, and it has more range, and it costs $90k as opposed to over $200k for a mid spec TTS. And now because of his pricing Taycan and all other luxury EV depreciation has fallen off the cliff, and all this as adoption in the US is slowing.

I love the idea of the EV FFRR, although it's off-road capabilities are somewhat redundant unless they start installing chargers in the middle of deserts and forests, and I fear JLR is going to struggle selling many of them just on price alone ... but I hope I'm wrong.

The following 2 users liked this post by soulsea:
eelpout (12-15-2023), wcc18999 (12-16-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 03:54 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I think they've made it pretty clear that the smaller vehicles, Evoque, Velar and Disco Sport will be EV only within a couple years on the new EMA platform. there rumors are they may already be retooling factories for them. Like you said, I just hope these aren't priced ridiculously high.

The Tesla range thing kind of bugs me a little, it's almost like people are screaming only buy a Honda Civic because it gets better MPG's and when did that become the overall deciding factor to get a car? BMW, Porsche and M-B are coming close to matching Tesla already in efficiency with their powertrains, but the German cars are typically heavier because they have better materials. Audi though needs to learn something from their VW group cousins because the eTron needs some help. They need the dedicated EV platform for the Q8 soon.

I'm just happy that JLR seems to be going with 800-volt architecture out of the gate. Hope they don't just keep that only for the FFRR.