Range Rover Sport L494 (2013-present) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20155 RRS HSE V6 Coolant Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019 | 08:48 PM
|
5th Gear
Default 20155 RRS HSE V6 Coolant Leaking

Hi, Sorry, new to the forum and hoping someone can shed some light on the situation.

I brought the truck to the dealer this morning due to low coolant warning and the smell of burning antifreeze.
They said the water pump bearings are wearing and it's leaking slightly. They will replace under warranty. Here's the kick.
They said there are 2 hoses leaking as well, and require that the top of the motor be removed along with the supercharger in order to get to the hoses.
The hoses are about $600 and the total cost including labor $2,200

I think I'm getting hosed. No pun intended.

Are there hoses that require the entire top of the motor to be removed? Seems a bit extreme.

Thanks

Old 09-19-2019 | 01:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by craigfial
Hi, Sorry, new to the forum and hoping someone can shed some light on the situation.

I brought the truck to the dealer this morning due to low coolant warning and the smell of burning antifreeze.
They said the water pump bearings are wearing and it's leaking slightly. They will replace under warranty. Here's the kick.
They said there are 2 hoses leaking as well, and require that the top of the motor be removed along with the supercharger in order to get to the hoses.
The hoses are about $600 and the total cost including labor $2,200

I think I'm getting hosed. No pun intended.

Are there hoses that require the entire top of the motor to be removed? Seems a bit extreme.

Thanks
Sounds like the two crossover tubes need to be replaced. These have been notorious for leaking/cracking/exploding on these V6s over the last decade. Search in the LR4 forums and you'll see this happening over there too. They're basically the hard plastic coolant tubes that span the "valley" of the V6 or V8. So far, they're really the only catastrophic failure item on the L494, so best to get them replaced before getting left stranded when or if they fully blow. Here's a photo of where they are, you can see that pipe there that bridges across the valley. Yes, the supercharger needs to be removed to access. It's like a multi-day job.

Old 09-19-2019 | 02:15 PM
|
5th Gear

Inside the blue circle is where they say its leaking.

Mechanic is using a screwdriver to pry up the pipe from the block.

The antifreeze looks like it came from the open pipe in the back of the photo and don't see any residual coolant from the black pipe.

Old 09-19-2019 | 02:18 PM
|
5th Gear

First they said 2 pipes+ the waterpump were leaking, then said the front pipe is cracked and the water pump leaking. They want to replace the rear pipe for preventative measures.
He's using a screwdriver to pry up the pipe from the block. He sent me a video but does not appear to be any leaking from where they said it is.

Old 09-19-2019 | 03:25 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm generally skeptical about such things as well, but in this case, preventatively replacing the rear pipe is a really good idea. I've read many accounts of LR4 owners being left stranded in the middle of nowhere with a blown rear pipe, and even worse, not noticing the engine overheating until it's overheated to the point of destruction, and now you're looking at a new engine.

That being said, it could be done probably way cheaper at an indy shop rather than a dealer. Dealers charge about 2x the price of indy shops.

Old 09-19-2019 | 03:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Also, out of curiosity, how many miles are on your RRS?

Old 09-19-2019 | 03:59 PM
|
5th Gear

57,000 miles. My warranty ran out at 50,000 but the CPO extended runs longer which is why the Waterpump was covered.
My complaint is the tech said it's completely ruptured and gushing fluid. He has refused to do a pressure test.
I know how dealer mechanics get paid, so I fear they are using scare tactics to get me to do work that is unnecessary. I really don't want the supercharger and manifold removed if I can avoid it. Once you open that up, I'll probably have other problems.

Old 09-19-2019 | 06:29 PM
Rock Crawling

The front coolant pipes travel under the supercharged, no way around to do the coolant pipes without removal of the supercharger. There were 3 superseded part numbers due to design flaw. The water pump has a small black tube behind with 2 seals that should always be replaced when removed/replaced.

Old 09-20-2019 | 09:55 PM
|
5th Gear

I took the car out of service today. They replaced the water pump. Now the truck overheats when the AC is running. If the car is just sitting at idle, no AC running the temp never exceeds 1/2 on the gauge.
No loss of coolant. I'll run a pressure test to see if there are any leaks, but can't find anything obvious.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-20-2019 | 10:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by craigfial
I took the car out of service today. They replaced the water pump. Now the truck overheats when the AC is running. If the car is just sitting at idle, no AC running the temp never exceeds 1/2 on the gauge.
No loss of coolant. I'll run a pressure test to see if there are any leaks, but can't find anything obvious.

Does anyone have any ideas?
mid they covered it under warranty, and it wasn’t overheating prior, and now it’s overheating, you have an issue. Take it back to whom ever did the job. Could just be an air pocket, could be something else now that’s it has overheated.

Quick Reply: 20155 RRS HSE V6 Coolant Leaking