Range Rover Sport L494 (2013-present) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 02:49 PM
dba
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Battery?

Just in the last 48 hours, I get this notice when I get into the car. It's a 2020 CPO purchased in September of 2022. I'm going to assume that it's referring to the vehicle's battery, not the one in the key fob. As the photo shows, the car has only 10k miles, so there is still some residual factory warranty remaining. What do you suggest is the next course of action for me? Besides dusting the instrument panel. Many thanks in advance.

Old 01-10-2023, 05:05 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is referring to the vehicle battery!!!

Old 01-16-2023, 04:41 AM
h2y
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Either drive it or charge it

Do what it says, start the engine but then drive it for a good distance to let the alternator charge the battery. Otherwise, charge the battery.
These sophisticated vehicles use a lot of battery energy even when parked: all sorts of modules that pull amps even with the engine off.
Per a friendly tech, start off with a good battery & either drive it, preferably, daily or keep on a trickle charger. Charging the main battery
will also be charging the secondary battery. Bottom line: keep your battery "hot" and you will avoid the warnings, problems that arise from
a low voltage battery state. If your battery is not sealed (maintenance-free), watch your electrolyte level. I use a small, ~1amp, charger/
maintainer that also desulfates the battery that doesn't "cook" out the water.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:07 PM
7th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am dealing with the same issue on a 2017 Range Rover Sport 3.0 Supercharged HSE.

I'm a bit mechanically familiar so I was able to put a charger on the main battery and she starts, runs with no issues. Until I shut her down, then I get the same message. I looked for the "auxiliary" battery in the right and left side panels but there is no battery there. Is there something I'm missing? Do all RRS have an "auxiliary" battery?

I then changed out the main battery while on a trickle charger to keep the "memories". Again, it works and starts but then I get the same message.

Any assistance would be appreciated. TY!

Steve

The following users liked this post:
h2y (03-10-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 01:58 AM
h2y
4wd Low

Originally Posted by nc1wynot
I am dealing with the same issue on a 2017 Range Rover Sport 3.0 Supercharged HSE.

I'm a bit mechanically familiar so I was able to put a charger on the main battery and she starts, runs with no issues. Until I shut her down, then I get the same message. I looked for the "auxiliary" battery in the right and left side panels but there is no battery there. Is there something I'm missing? Do all RRS have an "auxiliary" battery?

I then changed out the main battery while on a trickle charger to keep the "memories". Again, it works and starts but then I get the same message.

Any assistance would be appreciated. TY!

Steve
Have you attached a code reader to see if it threw a code? Everytime I turn on my radar detector, the RD says low voltage yet the car starts fine and it does not flash a dash message. I always drive with a Konnwei KW206 display gauge attached through the OBD port. It shows ~14V while driving along with water temp, rpms, etc (programmable). All the values are within range, the car runs great...so until it throws a code, I figure it's just a silly warning that's not justified. I know it's a weak answer and I wish some Range Rover techs would chime in to educate us.

Old 03-09-2023, 07:10 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by h2y
Have you attached a code reader to see if it threw a code? Everytime I turn on my radar detector, the RD says low voltage yet the car starts fine and it does not flash a dash message. I always drive with a Konnwei KW206 display gauge attached through the OBD port. It shows ~14V while driving along with water temp, rpms, etc (programmable). All the values are within range, the car runs great...so until it throws a code, I figure it's just a silly warning that's not justified. I know it's a weak answer and I wish some Range Rover techs would chime in to educate us.
Thank you for the reply and info. It's much appreciated! When the battery is charged, after overnight trickle charge....I have no warnings, no codes. Runs perfect. I drive for a bit, come home turn it off and I get the "battery low please start engine". Frustrating....
When looking to diagnose a possible "auxiliary battery" issue, it didn't have one in the right trunk panel. Do they all have both batteries? And if so, where else would that one be in my RRS?

Much appreciated!

Steve

h2y (03-10-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 04:19 PM
h2y
4wd Low

Hi Steve,
Maybe the 3.0 doesn't have the Auxillary battery? I have the 5.0 & the aux battery is behind the cargo area's right side panel with fuses, relays, etc.
Main battery is under the spare below the cargo area.

Old 03-09-2023, 05:14 PM
h2y
4wd Low

Curiousity got the cat so I went to the RockAuto website for your model & it shows 2 batteries: Groups 14 & 49. So, I guess you have an auxillary on the right side. My auxillary is an AGM type which is mounted sideways on the wall and off the floor & could be overlooked as the bracket partially conceals it. A flashlight might help.

Old 03-09-2023, 06:55 PM
7th Gear

Hello h2y,

Thanks for the information. Curiosity got me too....I went to a few different parts sites and seen the same thing. I'm completely stumped though. Here's a pic of my right side trunk area and there's no battery there. (or at least that I can see) No battery on the other side either. I was hoping maybe someone else had the same vehicle.
I have it on a trickle charge and works until I get home and shut it off, then I get the message again. I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday but I'm a little worried about the drive. It's about an hour away.

h2y (03-10-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 07:23 PM
7th Gear

SO, I kept searching and have found that my model/year they swapped the Aux battery for something they call a Voltage Quality Monitor (VQM). I'm thinking it does, or suppose to do, the same thing as the Aux battery. That's what the metal plated thing is in the middle of my pic, where the others have an Aux battery.

Here is a good link for the electrical components we're referring to on each model.

https://www.jlridssddmongoose.com/la...arging-system/

h2y (03-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Which Battery?