Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

1996 Disco 1, SE7 234k mi $5k firm Monrovia, CA

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016 | 10:14 PM
|
2nd Gear
Default 1996 Disco 1, SE7 234k mi $5k firm Monrovia, CA

1996 Land Rover Discovery I, SE7.

234,350, but rebuilt.
I am that stupid guy that totally rebuilt repaired a vehicle that he thought he’d hang onto forever, but then decided to let go.
I am listing all this off of memory and belief, my mechanic has all the records and you will be given access to those and can go over all the rebuild / replacement / repair with him. My mechanics records are the actual records for this sale, this is just my memory and belief.
Background: This is the 4th rover I have owned . After personally experiencing a Range Rover, Disco 2 and Disco 1, when I found a client wanting to sell this SE-7 Disco 1, I snapped it up. I traveled back and forth to Mexico during the summers where my family stayed on the beach. I previously had my mechanic “bullet-proof” (fix all parts that might fail (water pump fuel pump, crank shaft sensor etc.)) the engine on my 1998 Disco 1. So I wanted to do the same with this one but one big difference, this one would live in Mexico at the airport waiting for me. I needed something I could trust and be able to limp home if something went wrong. So I, brought it in to my mechanic and told him to change out the fuel pump, the water pump, the crank shaft senor and anything else it needed… Anything.
Well, I put about 15k into this. Never did I realize that so many little things could need replacing:
So here’s my list off of memory:
Old Man Emu suspension lift.
Large Tires – not quite new about 3k miles put on them. 245 75 R16
New brakes (within the last 3k miles about).
New alternator within last year or two. (The one in the video had an issue so this is new new.)
Replaced Water Pump, Fuel Pump, Crank Shaft Sensor.
Upgraded Radiator, replaced front electrical aux fans, replaced fan housing and fan clutch. (I think the fan too.)
Replaced rear step retractor.
Made it “solar ready” for battery maintenance (portable solar panel can plug in on the dash and charge the battery.
Battery less than 1 year old and has been maintained with "battery tender".
New head liner.
New heater core.
New window regulators and motor.
New fan (HVAC) control switch.
New Sun roof tracks.
Replaced one turn signal (electrical issue).
One new fog lamp
Replaced stock mirror (too low) replaced with defender style mirror.
Replaced the clock.
Tow package ( professionally installed wire harness with 4 pin straight style plug.)
Replaced fuel filler tube (down tube from gas cap forward )
Purchased, Cross bars for roof rack included.
Matts, load space (black rubber by landrover) back seats (factory mat) front seats (both factory and weather tech)
Engine rebuild:
My client / friend had the heads begin to leak. She paid about $5k to have the heads done / engine rebuilt. She then had to replace a front joint (need to check those fluids now and then). After that she sold it to me.
All work done to it while I owned it was done at Huntington Service Center in San Marino. (If you don't know of this place and own a Rover you need to. People bring Rovers from all over the country to these guys. Pete runs the place and he knows what he is doing.)
One repair was done by me in Mexico. Replacing the alternator (note, that alternator developed an issue with the voltage reg and thus it was later replaced by my Mech.)
Want to see something fun? Google search Discovery 1 alternator. The first video that comes up is “An 8 year old…” That’s my son and this Rover.

I have needed to rely upon this, out in the middle of nowhere Mexico. As such, I put all I could into making it run strong. I cannot say I have babied it as that goes to cosmetics as well. This needs a good radio. It needs a rear mudflap. The front seats have cloth covered with pockets. (Included), but that is because the seats could be redone and are ugly as is. This is not a car for someone looking to look pretty at the mall with their Sunday best. It is for throwing a gen and tent in the back, loading up kids and equipment and going out camping. It needs to go to someone that understands / appreciates all the engine work and maintenance that has gone into it! Most of all, It is for someone that wants to travel the 4x4 back roads and get to places they otherwise could not.

I am setting the price at $5,000.00 firm. My mechanic says I could get $8k from the right buyer, but I don’t have to time to be showing this to everyone. I think it will go fast at this price.

If you have any questions please let me know. I think it will go quickly at this price.

Last edited by samc; 11-29-2016 at 03:06 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 11-29-2016 | 03:06 PM
|
2nd Gear

Photos added, I can take more if anyone wants them.