Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2003 D2 - 99k - Excellent Condition - Updated Mechanicals!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Default 2003 D2 - 99k - Excellent Condition - Updated Mechanicals!

2003 D2 with just over 99k on it. Excellent condition - everything works, no leaks, no lights on, no problems. Truck is ready to drive! New in the last year: Headgaskets, water pump, power steering pump, door lock motors, shifter boots, headlner, rebuilt master cylinder, battery, bypass thermostat mod, FV308 pcv mod. Sunroof motors, door window regulators have been disassembled and lubricated. Sunroof pan drains replaced with brass fittings and all holes sealed with caulk. Driveshaft is upgraded shaft with grease fittings on all joints. Front and rear bumpers along with fender flares coated with bed liner. This truck was a South Carolina/Florida truck for its entire history so has never been exposed to road salt and the undercarriage is in excellent condition in terms of rust. Overall the truck is in excellent condition - rides and drives smooth with no known issues. It does NOT have the CDL transfer case even though someone but the CDL sticker on the console - sorry to disappoint on that front.

$7500, truck is in Lynchburg VA but I travel through Charlotte to SC regularly. Email me for questions or post up here. For sale locally also.

The pictures:

The story:

Picked this one up in Greenville SC from a brit who had lost interest, had been sitting under his shed for a couple of years. Master cylinder had no brake fluid in it, a squirrel had chewed through the wiring harness under the master cylinder. Engine ran but ticked when warm. One door lock motor not working, passenger window not working.

Got it home and worked on the brakes and wire harness first. Spliced in a complete wire harness off a junkyard truck to rectify the squirrel damage - splices are under the dash drivers side. Rebuilt the master cylinder with the Audi kit and bled all the brakes - now it was drivable but I wanted to fix that engine tick before putting miles on it.

Low temp thermostat did not eliminate the engine tick (should have been my first clue), so I dropped the pan and pinned the cylinders per the writes ups on the forum - stainless allen head screws with safety wire. Fired it up, still ticking! Damn - what did I miss? Checked the oil pressure - low at idle but not turning on the warning light, hmmm. Dropped the pan again - there it was, walked cam bearing - #4. Pulled the intakes off and the front cover, pulled the cam out, put new cam bearings in. Dropped a rod cap and main cap to check the bearings - everything looked good so I left it alone. Had it apart this far and I thought I am a damn fool if I don't replace the HG while I am here (pan and intakes off, hell half the work is already done). OEM headgaskets were perfect but now I know it is good to go. Put it back together - quiet as a mouse! Checked the oil pressure - 28 lbs idling hot, 50 lbs down the road hot. No leaks anywhere - Success!!

Pulled the headliner and did the full sunroof seal, lubricate job. New headliner by my local shop. Looks like the heated windshield got replaced at some point, drivers side is connected and works but pass side has no connector - weird, first time I have seen that. Took care of all the other minor bits and pieces plus my normal mods (bypass stat, FV308, door locks, window tracks, etc)

Have been driving it a little more than a year but time to let it go (wife says I can't keep all of them, apparently 5 is her limit ). Occasional three amigos on startup, like one every 10-20 starts, always goes out the next startup. I have not dug in further.

Tires have about 40%-60% tread left based on measurements.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Sold! - $7000