ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Just a Rant

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:31 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just a Rant

Since I sold my Discovery, I haven't been on the forums near as often as I once was. Now that I'm starting a new project Rover (Ugly Duckling) I have been on here a lot more often again.

Since I've come back, I've noticed a lot of complaining about Land Rover engineering. Of course the head gaskets are everyone's primary target for criticism. For those of you who complain about having to replace head gaskets, wake up and get a clue. Unfortunately head gasket issues are common. Pretty much every engine made that uses stretch style head bolts, like the Rover engines do, have head gasket issues. I currently drive 05 Ford F250 with the 6.0 Powerstroke diesel. Guess what, head gasket issues. Same with Fords gas V8s, head gasket issues. If I actually used my truck to haul the loads it's capable of or tuned it to get more power I'd be replacing head gaskets on my Powerstroke. Since $3000 for new head gaskets doesn't sound appealing I kind of baby the truck when possible. If you don't like the way a vehicle is engineered, don't drive. There are plenty of other vehicles on the road to choose from so why drive something that you're just going to complain about. I didn't like spending $1500 to have a shop replace the head gaskets on my Discovery but since I really enjoyed the off roading capability and comfort of my Disco I paid it and went on.

I personally thought the weak spider gears were more of a complaint point than the head gaskets. Knowing that I could destroy a set of spider gears out on a trail, or even on the road, without a lot of effort was always a little disappointing to me. With how overbuilt the rest of the truck is why would Rover use such weak spider gears. I understand the power and weight is supposed to be divided between both axles in a perfect world but last time I checked we don't live in a perfect.

Ok, I'll step down off my soapbox. Just needed to rant for a minute.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Where is the "like" button?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x2 on the LIKE button.

Btw bitching about my rover is part of the Land Rover ownership experience. From the head gaskets and spider gears to the price of parts and the use of metric and standard bolts together (?!), bitching about our rovers is part of the drive-it, break-it, cuss-the-engineers, cuss-the-parts-shop, cuss-while-fixing-it cycle. Once she is back on the road you are a happy rover owner again until the next part breaks or she needs maintence again. Then the cycle starts all over again.

Now lets see some pics of the Ugly Duckling!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed. 100%

Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pilsner
x2 on the LIKE button.

Btw bitching about my rover is part of the Land Rover ownership experience. From the head gaskets and spider gears to the price of parts and the use of metric and standard bolts together (?!), bitching about our rovers is part of the drive-it, break-it, cuss-the-engineers, cuss-the-parts-shop, cuss-while-fixing-it cycle. Once she is back on the road you are a happy rover owner again until the next part breaks or she needs maintence again. Then the cycle starts all over again.

Now lets see some pics of the Ugly Duckling!

this is exactly why D2's are more fun than D1's. D2's force you to love them more. long weekends together, late nights on a work night alone in the garage. cool crisp air. the smell of fresh oil coming off her. blinking those elegant friends of hers every time you turn the key. das tres amigos. they way her hubs get all loose every time you get a little rough. she likes it rough.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

/\............. oh brother......

Old 06-29-2010, 08:19 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
this is exactly why D2's are more fun than D1's. D2's force you to love them more. long weekends together, late nights on a work night alone in the garage. cool crisp air. the smell of fresh oil coming off her. blinking those elegant friends of hers every time you turn the key. das tres amigos. they way her hubs get all loose every time you get a little rough. she likes it rough.
In a DII, you are never alone... You always have your Three Amigos right there with you.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:56 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally have enough voices in my head to keep me company that I don't need three amigos.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
I personally have enough voices in my head to keep me company that I don't need three amigos.

they strictly speak A$$ Broken Spanish.. AKA ABS so most people don't understand them anyways.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not had the 'pleasure' of these dramas yet, but I'm sure they'll happen!

Quick Reply: Just a Rant