ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

LR4 launch

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default LR4 launch

I am going to the new LR4 launch tommorrow night, cant wait as these launches are always a good time.
When they did the new RR I drove to Chicago and actually got to off road a $80,000 Range Rover.
The LR3 launch was also cool but I think this one is really going to be a good time.
I willlet you guys know how it went.

http://www.landrovergrandrapids.com/...tom/en/Events/

Last edited by Spike555; 07-15-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Team Owner

Just got back from the LR4 launch...I do not want one.
It is very nice, almost Ranger Roveresk, 5 camera's, one in the back, one on each side mirror and one in each headlight.
Push to start, 5.0L V8 with a 6 speed auto.
372 HP.
Does not require premium but it is recommended for max MPG and performence.
4 wheel indie suspension with air ride on all fours, built in ipod connection, center console is also a electric cooler, 19" Contineltals, fat ones too.
3 sunroofs, terrain response like the LR3, fly by wire throttle, electronic transfer case and electronic locking diffs.
Push to start with proximinty key, 15,000 mile or 12 month oil change intervales with oil life moniter, now her is the bets part about that...there is NO DIPSTICK, you check the oil level by pressing a button on the dash and a display comes up that shows you the oil level.
And DIY'ers beware, you CANNOT change your own oil because there is no drain plug.
The dealer uses a vacuum to suck out the oil through a special port.
LED tail lights and the "angle eyes" in the headlights which are HID's.
Automatic sway control for when you are towing a trailer, if it detects the trailer swaying it will correct it for you.
Now here is the good news, I am now registered to win either a Land Rover Driving Experience or a set of LR luggage.
They had food, Subway but still food.
It will be avaliable for purchase in late Sept early Oct.
Once they have one in stock I will take a ride over the off road course at the dealer.
I also grabbed lots of brochers and one of them is a winch and self recovery booklet showing the different recovery equipment that is avaliable for your DI and P-38 through your dealer.
No plans on bringing the diesel or the Defender to the US.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:45 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
And DIY'ers beware, you CANNOT change your own oil because there is no drain plug.
The dealer uses a vacuum to suck out the oil through a special port.
Uhhhh thats just dumb. I dont like that one bit. What if you're in africa in the middle of the jungle and you need to change the oil for some reason??? Sounds to me like that wont be a problem because the market they are trying to reach will be parked at malls anyways. Sounds like a very cool ride, but not exactly what I would want in a land rover. Oh well, i'll continue to dream about the US defender which will probally never become a reality.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like I need to buy one of those and use it as my daily driver so I can lift the DI five inches and put 35" swampers on it

Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

I feel the same way Cam, they are gearing the truck towards the ubber luxury never get dirty unless they have not sept the parking lot at Macy's crowd.
If you are in the deepest darkest part of Africa you will be driving a ultra simple TD5 Defender anyway.
I was reading up on the LR4 awhile ago and they (LR) stated that they will not offer the LR4 to the miltary, fire rescue or ambulance type of services because of all the electronics on the truck, they even said that there are no self servicable parts on the truck, you need a dealer with the correct trailing and computer to diagnois/repair the truck.
They are going to intagrate the RR and LR4 chassis into the Defender to cut costs but that the defender will still be coil springs and no/fewer electronics/DIY friendly.
They said that the majoratiy of the Defender crowd are oil companies doing explorations, power companies, militaries, Red Cross, etc. and they all want/need vehicles that they can fix/maintain on their own in the field with no dealer network.
But the RR and LR4 demagraffic live within 25 miles of a dealer.
I hate to see them lean away from the 4x4 crowd but they are trying to stay in buisness, so I guess we can choose between mall crawlers or no Rovers at all.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I was reading up on the LR4 awhile ago and they (LR) stated that they will not offer the LR4 to the miltary, fire rescue or ambulance type of services because of all the electronics on the truck, they even said that there are no self servicable parts on the truck, you need a dealer with the correct trailing and computer to diagnois/repair the truck.
I think this is a tactic that LR decided on to get more revenue on services charges. So every oil change they will charge in upwards of $200. Its a great looking truck but LR will be missing sales from the enthusiasts who loves working on trucks.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:45 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard of places using a vacuum pump for oil changes so this is nothing new. The vacuum oil change machine I saw actually worked like the machine they use to flush a transmission. Puts new oil in as it is sucking the old out and circulates it through the whole engine. I've just never heard of that being the only way to change the oil.

Maybe the new LR4 being out will cause the LR3 prices to drop for used ones so I can afford one.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover

Maybe the new LR4 being out will cause the LR3 prices to drop for used ones so I can afford one.

Good point, I actually like the thought of having an lr3 so I can park the disco for limited/off road use only. Of course, im wont be in the vehicle market for another 4 years at least, i've got edukashun to pay for.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:52 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

edubacashun is highly overrated. Since the LR3 will tow as much as my Dodge it seems like a perfect replacement.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Team Owner

What is the LR3 rated for?
Your DI is rated for 7700lbs but I dont know what the LR3 is rated for.

Quick Reply: LR4 launch