ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

My Texas to Colorado road trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face My Texas to Colorado road trip

Hello, forum! Been a while Like the title says, this thread is about my up and coming road trip to Boulder, Colorado. I should be en route on the morning of August 17 and staying for about a week to visit family, do some mild trails in the Disco, and mountain bike...maybe kayak as well.

For those who do not know, I am in a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II. About a year ago, her entire suspension was redone to factory spec. with all new OEM parts during which time I was also redoing the entire interior. She is on some non-flashy street tires which are new...which I'm sure will be great on the highway and simple dirt/rock trails(NOTHING crazy).

I have a few simple things in mind that I'd like some opinions on. Here are the things I'm packing for sure.

These are the personal items and small comforts for the road.
-small ice chest with sandwiches, milk, cokes, ice(duh), LOTS of water.
-1-2 bags with clothes, various shoes for different occasions.
-Briefcase with laptop/charger/headphones/phone charger/stereo adapter.

Here are the safety things and "what if" items
-My tool bag from when I was a mechanic
-cigarette lighter air pump
-pocket knife
-various tapes/zipties/variety pack of fuses

Something that crossed my mind
-Should I take a sixpack to spread through out the days drive? A six pack is nothing heavy to my system(not bragging just the facts) so I would only get that very manly sense of relaxation of being one with the road with a cold brew. Surely there is nothing wrong with the thought of beer on the road crossing my mind. It's better than texting and driving which I highly frown upon and also safer than driving sleepy which I can be honest about from experience.

Here is another question I have for the people who travel a lot on the road. I am having a concern with safety...I am a 22 year old male, 6 foot and well built..but I can't dodge a bullet..should I take my rifle on the road JUST IN CASE? It's a simple bolt action 5 in the clip 1 in the breach style rifle. A 1929 Tula Mosin Nagant to be exact if any rifle aficionados on here. This is my only fire arm, other wise I'd take a pistol if I had the license. If this is just bonkers TELL ME! I dont mind not taking it. Just don't want to take the earthly life chance that something does happen and I tell myself "I wish I'd brought it".

The Rover is tip top. I will get her checked out just to be 100% safe again. Any tips or advice please throw on in here! I'm going to be taking the most direct route to Colorado. Maybe stop by Sante Fe for those leather shops

I plan to do a photo timeline of my trip as this is my first road trip solo. I am excited but also know how to be safe and methodical. So I'm planning early. Thanks for reading. I know it is a long picture-less thread...But I appreciate your alls time! Thanks again.

Best,
Carlos

Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just pack a pistol in the door or something, surely you'll be fine without a license for a week. A rifle may be overkill. What kind of bike do you ride? I'm on a Specialized Hardrock that gets the job done for me, looking to build up though

Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow..

Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by honda50r
Just pack a pistol in the door or something, surely you'll be fine without a license for a week. A rifle may be overkill. What kind of bike do you ride? I'm on a Specialized Hardrock that gets the job done for me, looking to build up though
I figured it might be overkill thats why I asked. I ride a Trek 3700 hard tail. It's a great bike considering its about 5 years old and I beat the hell out of it.
Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Wow..
I dont know any Women on women websites.

But seriously...what offended you?

Last edited by ashtray; 06-26-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Something that crossed my mind
-Should I take a sixpack to spread through out the days drive? A six pack is nothing heavy to my system(not bragging just the facts) so I would only get that very manly sense of relaxation of being one with the road with a cold brew. Surely there is nothing wrong with the thought of beer on the road crossing my mind. It's better than texting and driving which I highly frown upon and also safer than driving sleepy which I can be honest about from experience.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Your choice: take the 6-pack or a pistol, but not both Just kidding, I would never support drinking and driving, even if you only drink a modest amount, not worth the risk. Get your concealed carry permit in TX;, it is honored in CO. Do your homework on the gun laws in CO if you want to carry on your person, but in the rover, you may be OK without a permit. Again, do your homework, just like you do for your rover and your road trip maps and planning. Depending on your route you may be travelling through other states, so make sure if you do carry, know what you need to do as you cross into these other states. You may have to move your firearm and secure it in your vehicle while in these other states depending on their laws.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 06-26-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by cosmiccharlie
Lol. Sorry to make your eyes pop! Duly noted.
Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
Your choice: take the 6-pack or a pistol, but not both Just kidding, I would never support drinking and driving, even if you only drink a modest amount, not worth the risk. Get your concealed carry permit in TX;, it is honored in CO. Do your homework on the gun laws in CO if you want to carry on your person, but in the rover, you may be OK without a permit. Again, do your homework, just like you do for your rover and your road trip maps and planning. Depending on your route you may be travelling through other states, so make sure if you do carry, know what you need to do as you cross into these other states. You may have to move your firearm and secure it in your vehicle while in these other states depending on their laws.
Yeah I figured all that through logic. Just never been on the road solo for such a long drive so I dont know what is common to do/not do. Longest Drive I do regularly is 150 miles. Not much. I guess if I want a brew I can stop at a bar along the way for just one. Anyone know of any good trails in Boulder, CO? Nothing crazy just looking to get out and about and stretch her legs a bit.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Lol. Sorry to make your eyes pop! Duly noted.

Yeah I figured all that through logic. Just never been on the road solo for such a long drive so I dont know what is common to do/not do. Longest Drive I do regularly is 150 miles. Not much. I guess if I want a brew I can stop at a bar along the way for just one. Anyone know of any good trails in Boulder, CO? Nothing crazy just looking to get out and about and stretch her legs a bit.
Or just wait until you are at the campsite/hotel/final destination. It will be better for everyone. I like good beer too, but it's not hard to wait until you are planted for the evening enjoy a few.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by cosmiccharlie
Or just wait until you are at the campsite/hotel/final destination. It will be better for everyone. I like good beer too, but it's not hard to wait until you are planted for the evening enjoy a few.
Agreed. I guess I'll pick up cappuccinos and cigarettes : )

Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Three Wheeling

You're overthinking this. Just get in your truck and drive.

Quick Reply: My Texas to Colorado road trip