ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

there is a sucker born every min...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default there is a sucker born every min...

So after I was finished working I took the work van to get the oil changed.
I take it to Pennzoil and use Shell Rotella 15w-40.
Anyway...while I was sitting there another guy comes in with a Grand Am, he needs a oil change.
What else do they sell him? A $45 engine flush, a $35 fuel filter and the oil change...$120.
Now listen to the sales pitch, this is the really funny part...
"We recommend a engine oil flush because if you go over on your oil change you will burn oil and when you burn oil you clog the oil passages inside the engine, if you only go over once then we recommend this flush"
Man holds up a $3 can of Gunk Engine flush.
"If you have gone over more than once then we recommend this"
Man holds up $12 gallon of Gunk Engine flush.
This is a HUGE load of crap, everytime you change your oil you are flushing your engine.
Engine oil flushes are not needed as long as you change your oil per manufactures specs.
So here is the sales pitch for the fuel filter...
"Your fuel filter looks really really dirty, it even looks like it might be close to being clogged"
HOW IN THE F UCK CAN YOU TELL IF A FUEL FILTER IS DIRTY BY LOOKING AT IT? HUH? SERIOUSLY?!
"If your fuel filter becomes clogged it will let all of the dirt and gunk from your gas tank into the engine and then you are looking at serious money to fix it"
A clogged fuel filter and the car wont run, DUH!!!
I so wanted to go over and say something to this guy but I couldnt, these guys take care of me, they cut me a 10% discount and I really raked in the "empty" quarts of oil this time.
20, count them 20 "empty" quarts of oil. BAM!! Thats atleast 2 quarts of free motor oil buddy!!

And how do they do that $45 engine flush?
They drain out all of your old oil, pour in the $12 gallon of Gunk Engine flush, have you start your car, idle for 15 min, drain and then change the oil and filter like normal.
Thats what you get for $45.

So anyway, just thought that I would share how badly people can get ripped off when they dont know any better.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dumb guy, smart business.
Being "smart" works for a period of time, but the businesses that last the longest are the ones that are honest with their customers. To bad there are so few of those around... especially in the mechanic business.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am under the impression that all quick lubes are rip off artists.
They dont get many repeat customers.
Every time I go there there are a variety of different brands of oil filters on the drain screen.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:16 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The quick lube places prey on people that don't know anything about cars. They know that people who know vehicles will never pay for all the stupid stuff they come up with.

I love the clogged fuel filter allowing dirt into the engine. That should have raised red flags for anyone with a brain. If the filter is clogged how is anything supposed to get to the engine. And that they can see it's dirt and almost clogged, they must have an xray machine out in the lube bay.