Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   ROAMING WITH FRIENDS (https://landroverforums.com/forum/roaming-friends-6/)
-   -   Washington State - Offroading (https://landroverforums.com/forum/roaming-friends-6/washington-state-offroading-93191/)

Friday Night Disco 01-26-2019 04:43 PM

Washington State - Offroading

All - I am going to start posting a list of trails that I have stolen from the NWJeeps site.

Washington Trails

My goal is to start getting interest and schedule some day and weekend trips starting in late March early April.

I will try and do a scouting trip prior to the meet so I can gauge the conditions of the trail and provide a heads up of the gear you will need. Please use this thread as a means to subscribe if you would like to keep updated. I REFUSE to use Facebook so this and email will be my means of communications as well as IM from this site.

Outside of the list below, I am always up for a quick trip and know a few good locations with fantastic views.

1. Cle Elum Valley - Late March depending on snow levels
2. Manastach Ridge - April depending on snow levels
3. Liberty - May
4. Naches Pass - June

Dave03S 01-26-2019 06:29 PM

Thanks for this! I'll keep an eye here.

I occasionally have weekends off but none off until April, I'm good on weekdays though.

I plan to finally get some legs of the WABDR in this summer, I think that is mostly June or later depending on snow conditions.

206dawgfan 01-29-2019 05:31 PM

Nice work. I hope I can make some of these. Let me know if I can help. I have some map apps that I really like that helps me plan the trips I take.

Friday Night Disco 01-30-2019 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 206dawgfan (Post 678371)
Nice work. I hope I can make some of these. Let me know if I can help. I have some map apps that I really like that helps me plan the trips I take.

Posting locations helps out a lot. As we get closer to a meet, we can coordinate who is coming and what gear do they have.

JoJo The Giraffe 02-19-2019 02:52 AM

Last year, I took a road trip in my 00 D2 from Vancouver Island to Washington State after landing in Port Angeles. In particular, Vashon Island meeting up with a friend and off to Ocean Park/Long Beach on that sandy highway. Many great spots to park and have lunch...surf on one side, dunes on the other. Do low gear and not travelling fast, you are good to go.

Friday Night Disco 03-03-2019 09:21 AM

All that are following this thread, planning on a scouting trip March 9th or 10th. I want to get an idea of what the snow levels are like in Cle Elum Valley area. Depending on the results, I may schedule a meet up late March.

206dawgfan 03-03-2019 09:19 PM

Wish I could join ya. March is busy as heck for my wife and I. I am very interested in how much snow is on the ground up there. Happy scouting. :thumbsup:

AndyInTheLandy 03-05-2019 10:26 PM

If there's anyone out in Walla Walla area or eastern washington i'm always down to scout trails or go up into the blue hills/mountains.

Dave03S 03-06-2019 12:20 PM

Finally edited and posted a video taken up the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie river right before the big snows came. Late January the unimproved section of road between the campground and the end of the road at the trailheads to Alpine Lakes and the hot springs.

mtaylo32 03-06-2019 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dave03S (Post 682851)
Finally edited and posted a video taken up the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie river right before the big snows came. Late January the unimproved section of road between the campground and the end of the road at the trailheads to Alpine Lakes and the hot springs.

https://youtu.be/Uw9_2D116Ug

@Dave03S nice video! My fiancé and I just moved to Seattle and we are looking to take our LR3 out. How far is this from Seattle and how do you get to the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie? Thanks!!

Friday Night Disco 03-06-2019 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by mtaylo32 (Post 682925)

@Dave03S nice video! My fiancé and I just moved to Seattle and we are looking to take our LR3 out. How far is this from Seattle and how do you get to the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie? Thanks!!

it is about 5 miles from my house. *I was there on Sunday. *PM me your contact information and we can plan a trip*

Dave03S 03-07-2019 12:12 AM

Thanks! How was the snow up there Sunday? This is the same place the hippy millennial family got stuck overnight in their Toyota with a 3 year old while they were hiking in two or three feet of snow a few weeks back... A snow machine with tracks had to go in and rescue them... The road begins at the east exit to North Bend just off I90, around 37 miles east of downtown Seattle.

mtaylo32 03-07-2019 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dave03S (Post 682931)
Thanks! How was the snow up there Sunday? This is the same place the hippy millennial family got stuck overnight in their Toyota with a 3 year old while they were hiking in two or three feet of snow a few weeks back... A snow machine with tracks had to go in and rescue them... The road begins at the east exit to North Bend just off I90, around 37 miles east of downtown Seattle.

Thanks for the awesome info! We’ll definitely be checking this area out. Is there any need for equipment or will a stock LR3 with some A/T’s be alright? Discovery Pass?

Friday Night Disco 03-07-2019 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dave03S (Post 682931)

On Sunday I went to exit 38 and quickly got high centered due to depth of snow and how wet it was. After digging out and a gentle assist from a Jeep, I went down to Middle Fork, I figured the lower elevation would equal less snow depth.

I got to the second bridge at Middle Fork and turned around because the road was compact snow and ice and the ruts were getting deep enough to scrap on my diffs. Since I was by myself, I called it a day.

I did have to rescue some people in a car and tow them up a hill.

Friday Night Disco 03-14-2019 04:28 PM

All - just a quick update, I will be heading towards Cle Elum this weekend and checking on the snow levels along the way. Depending on depth of snow (anyone in the area please chime in) I will try to get a meet scheduled on March 31st.

Friday Night Disco 03-16-2019 01:12 PM

UPDATE

I went to south Cle Elum this morning and the trails are still closed to non snowmobile vehicles
Exit 38, the snow is soft and the trail is deeply rutted, I would not try this unless you have at least a 2" lift

206dawgfan 03-17-2019 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco (Post 683870)
UPDATE

I went to south Cle Elum this morning and the trails are still closed to non snowmobile vehicles
Exit 38, the snow is soft and the trail is deeply rutted, I would not try this unless you have at least a 2" lift

A little more of this sunshine and all the trails will be back. Nice job getting out there. I am planning a trip in May to Naches area off of 410. I would follow up with a topic post once I get a plan in place.

Friday Night Disco 03-17-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 206dawgfan (Post 683961)
A little more of this sunshine and all the trails will be back. Nice job getting out there. I am planning a trip in May to Naches area off of 410. I would follow up with a topic post once I get a plan in place.

sounds great!! I will keep an eye out for the topic

Friday Night Disco 03-25-2019 09:49 AM

UPDATE

I checked the snow levels off I-90 at exit 38 yesterday, I got to where Iron Horse trail crosses the road and the snow depth looked good but, the snow was very wet. Since I didn't bring my shovels, I decided not to chance it and turned around.

I will be planning a drive out to North Fork this weekend just to get some fresh air if anyone is interested

Friday Night Disco 04-07-2019 01:46 PM

UPDATE

There was about 2 inches of snowfall last night in the mountains.

Every thing east of exit 38 is still closed.

Exit 38 - I got a few miles back and ran into some deep snow, however, I suspect it should be manageable next weekend. As far as anything east of exit 38, I think we have at least another month

Friday Night Disco 05-12-2019 08:56 AM

UPDATE

Snow levels are declining fast, the runs I want to go to this year still have a fair bit of snow. I am targeting mid June for Cle Elum Valley run

Dave03S 05-12-2019 10:24 PM

Do you have a report from up exit 38?

Friday Night Disco 05-12-2019 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dave03S (Post 690287)
Do you have a report from up exit 38?

Good to go, take the high road after the power lines. If you want to go together this coming weekend let me know

206dawgfan 05-13-2019 08:46 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...ec70c683b.jpeg
Clemens Ridge looking south east
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...9571e2ef5.jpeg
Clemens Ridge Looking north towards Easton
I have been riding my quad over in the Green Dot roads off of 410 near Naches. Ill post some google map pins to show where I have been going. There is a little snow in these areas but not much if you stay in the eastern part of the unit.

https://goo.gl/maps/63HJZLYMqWFhYNPD8

This is the north part of the Bethel Ridge road, this is a gravel/logging road that goes like 20 miles from Highway 410 to Highway 12. This is apart of the Green Dot road system. Green dot roads are open to all motorized vehicles including ORVs. I have been taking my quad up here. Might get my rover out here later this summer but I just been having too much fun with the Polaris.

https://goo.gl/maps/j3f2QczfyqmW845h9

2 weeks ago I went up to this area of the Umantum Area to the Radio towers on top of Clemens Ridge. From this ridge you can see all the way to Ellensburg. This area is a mix of national forest and green dot road. Yes I took my quad again. I am sorry i would love to drive the rover up here, but my Polaris just flies up here

My camping trailer is at campground off of 410 near these areas until the end of June. If anyone wants me to show them around let me know. I will be there the next 3 weekends in a row. May 31st I am planning on going from Easton over the Manastash Ridge down to 410. This is about a 30 mile run. I would be willing to lead a group, however I will be on a quad with my brother. We are planning on camping at the campground off of 410 that night, but there are about 1,000,000 great camping spots in the woods along the way.

Let me know.

Friday Night Disco 05-13-2019 09:06 PM

I may take you up on that offer and may want to enlist you to check out a few runs over in that area with your quad

206dawgfan 05-13-2019 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco (Post 690370)
I may take you up on that offer and may want to enlist you to check out a few runs over in that area with your quad

No problem let me know. I am heading over this weekend and the next 2 in a row. Memorial day will be a family trip so I may have my Rover there. May 31st is my plan to do the Easton south to 410 trip. Let me know, this area is amazing and can be a bit overwhelming if you have not been before or don't have the right map apps.

:cheers::disco:

Dave03S 05-13-2019 11:02 PM

I have to work weekends through the end of this month so I can't join in till later in the summer, but may be able to head out on a random weekday. That area looks great!

Friday Night Disco 05-18-2019 05:08 PM

UPDATE

I just got back from Lost Lake west of Easton off Exit 62, trail is good. Some spots of snow but, nothing we can not handle.

Friday Night Disco 05-26-2019 05:46 PM

UPDATE

I am to go to Cle Elum Valley on 06/01/19 and driving the Fortune Creek and Mine To Market runs. I will start up a separate thread to see if anyone is interested.

Friday Night Disco 06-02-2019 07:47 AM

UPDATE

We went to Cle Elum valley yesterday and did the Mine to Market and Fortune Creek trails.

Mine to market had a little patch of snow that tripped us up for a few moments, nothing a shovel could not fix. Note we took a left at the Y and went up to the landing. We are not sure what is to the right of the Y and will have to explore that at a later date. We were told last year that the right at the Y goes back to a lake and potentially hooks into the Fortune Creek trail.

Fortune Creek, we got close to 5 miles down the trail and ran into some snow that appeared to be fairly deep. Obviously we were disappointed to be so close to the end and needed to turn around. However, we will take another shot in the a few weeks.

Friday Night Disco 06-12-2019 05:23 PM

All - Thinking of hitting the trails either Saturday or Sunday (June 15 or 16) anyone interested or have a suggestion of a location?

Friday Night Disco 06-15-2019 07:27 PM

UPDATE

Just got back from Cle Elum valley - Fortune Creek still has some snow that is blocking the last mile

Friday Night Disco 06-18-2019 11:57 AM

CHECKING IN

I am looking to go to Manastash late Aug early Sep. Tossing this up early to see who would be interested in going. More than likely an overnighter.

mtaylo32 07-12-2019 04:22 PM

Have any of y’all driven high into the Cascades? Interested in driving into a spot to camp at a good overlook. Is this even possible?

Friday Night Disco 07-12-2019 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mtaylo32 (Post 696389)
Have any of y’all driven high into the Cascades? Interested in driving into a spot to camp at a good overlook. Is this even possible?

Yes, you will need a discovery pass. I know a few places but, give me a better idea of what you are looking for

mtaylo32 07-13-2019 03:17 PM

Anything like this, I’m sure it’s all forestry roads, right?
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...569428b2a.jpeg

Friday Night Disco 07-13-2019 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by mtaylo32 (Post 696464)
Anything like this, I’m sure it’s all forestry roads, right?
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...569428b2a.jpeg

There are a few places like this off the I-90 corridor starting at Lost Lake and going west to Exit 38. There are also places a bit further out near Fortune Creek (see my other post).

There are forest roads as well as trails, if you give me a little more information such as:
1. Do you want to take your vehicle off road?
2. Do you want to shoot guns?
3. Do you want to be water?
4. Is cell phone coverage needed?

I can pin point a few locations. Also, take a look at the other Washington threads in this forum, if you see one of the locations that are pictured I can get you directions and bit more information.

Dave03S 07-23-2019 10:29 AM

Went back up the Middle Fork Snoqualmie yesterday... Drove to the gate at the end of the unimproved road... A few Subaru's and a few Nissan crossovers made it up there without incident. The road isn't really bad, just some large rocks, a few big puddles, and a few washouts. I would guess the drive was the more comfortable ride.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...68c13d3fc4.jpg
Parked near old growth stump.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...46b37cd8ab.jpg
Waterfall just after the gate at the end of the road.

Dave03S 07-23-2019 05:14 PM

Here is a video from the above route... Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, unimproved section above campground. It's the same place I made the video back in January... Not much change both drives without snow. This is the large washout with the bypass of the small hill. Right around milepost 13. Some large puddles, not deep, potholes, a few washouts and one small creek about a meter wide washing across road. Did a couple circles around the washout, the bumps and ruts are deeper/bigger than they appear due to the stabilizer on the camera. Note the movement of the front of the truck.

Friday Night Disco 07-30-2019 09:08 AM

I am thinking of going to Fortune Creek this weekend if anyone is interested in going with me.