Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   ROAMING WITH FRIENDS (https://landroverforums.com/forum/roaming-friends-6/)
-   -   Why do you own a Land Rover? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/roaming-friends-6/why-do-you-own-land-rover-28257/)

hilltoppersx 01-27-2010 01:55 PM

because my blood and my car are both English and with the help of cruise control i made it to the emergency room while having a kidney stone attack in December.

pilsner 01-27-2010 11:12 PM

I wouldnt say "chick magnet" but I have received more than one comment saying that we "looked like you had fun" when we pull into the gas station with the rovers covered in mud.
Having a chocolate lab puppy in the backseat looking all cute and cuddly tends to draw the women in, only to have them be repelled just as quickly by the smell of the swamp water and wet dog (odd that the rover, the rover-owner, and the dog all have the same attraction to foul smelling bodies of water...)

davedeblitz 02-10-2010 11:46 PM

what else are you going to drive if your idea of playing in the snow includes a day/night of looking for and removing other vehicles from snowbanks and ditches???

d2luvr 02-11-2010 01:24 AM

Yeah what everybody else has said, and the kid in me that is determined to find a deep enough mud hole that she won't get me through. Three years and I haven't found that mud yet.

rj95lss 02-11-2010 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by davedeblitz (Post 161853)
what else are you going to drive if your idea of playing in the snow includes a day/night of looking for and removing other vehicles from snowbanks and ditches???

I have been driving around doing the same thing the last couple nights. My best was a Ford Escape that was probably 10ft into a ditch with snow up to the rear windows. Took 5min or less to get him out.

I got the weirdest look from the guy when he tired to give me $80 (all the cash he had on him) and I wouldn't take his money. I just told him I was having fun, wanted to test my rig, and that he could just pay it forward and help someone else somehow.

greenwade 03-02-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII (Post 158532)
Because there are too many Hybrid cars around Seattle and someone's got to use all this gas we have laying around!:D

I fell in love with the look of the Disco long before I could drive, with the high roof, all the windows, and straight edges. It looks like it belongs perfectly in the African plains or a ski lodge.

I couldn't agree with you more man!! Plus in Seattle one must own a Land Rover. I love getting looks from people in there Pryis and them telling me that i am destroying the environment.....silly hippies. I got mine because i wanted a vehicle that guzzled gas and which parts for cost 3 times as much as any other manufacturer.... Only people that have owned a Land Rover understand this love/hate relationship. They might not be the fastest, but they will get you there through thick, thin, deep, wide, and muddy.

Keep the tyre side down-:D

pilsner 03-02-2010 08:11 PM

d2lvr -

Come on down to the Ft Lewis WA area sometime. I can show you a couple of mud holes that have eaten my Army-issued Stryker, much less my rover. Ask Valkeyre about the swamp he had to winch me out of - swamp water up to the center of the spare tire. Oddly enough my rover STILL smells like swamp water when I park her in the sun and that was 2 years ago...

bikingteacher 03-04-2010 08:13 AM

My brother was critical of my choice of vehicle, citing that it was a gas hog etc. Last night the phone rang late and it was him. He is moving this weekend and put his camper-van in a outbuilding for the winter. It has about 8 inches of snow going to it on grass and he thought he could make it out. The van slid down an embankment and was about a foot from the house.
I had him out in about 10 minutes and he is now glad for my choice of vehicle.

Mirth 03-08-2010 06:30 PM

I was only a little kid, probably 6 or 8 when my parents decided to "take me to see their family in England" (that is where they started out, moved to Canada before I was born).

We met family and friends of theirs. Was driven in Rolls Royce, many fancy cars, and one Land Rover. That Land Rover was the most fun I've had-- with the exception of my honeymoon <cough cough>-- and I've wanted one ever since.

Always assumed that they'd be too expensive for me to own, and ended up with an 96 Ford Explorer, 02 Chevy Trailblazer, and borrowed my brother-in-law's Hummer "original" once too. Then, the wife and I were looking for a new vehicle that had to meet three basic requirements:

1) Carry more than 5 people (a military requirement)
2) Tow more than 7000 lbs -- without feeling like we would die at any moment
3) Go off-road without the constant fear of a tranny failure (a la Ford Explorer) while being polite on the road
4) This was an unofficial one that my wife will deny: It had to be comfortable inside in the same way that a private jet is comfortable inside...

I didn't really care what this magic vehicle looked like or who made it. It just needed to work. It had to be an on-road and off-road dream, tow heavy stuff, carry far too many people, and be fully featured and comfortable.

Land Rover was the only truck that met all the requirements. There was another, but I promised that I'd never own another of that brand... so LR it was.

I've loved it ever since. Biggest problem is who gets to drive. The wife always wants to be driving when we go off-road and now she's started to threaten that she wants to try with the trailer too.

<cry>

Heated front window and second row seats... 5 position radio control and separate audio with headphones... headroom in the third row seats to make it comfortable for a 6' 3" fussy guy... A ton of inside space with complete flexibility of seats to storage...

Land Rover, who'd have thunk it?

(I finally own the truck of my dreams. It looks great sitting beside our second vehicle, the VW Eos Convertible-- so, WHAT would you drive on the sunny beautiful day? The convertible or find an off-road pool somewhere and take the LR?)

demonlarry 03-08-2010 10:09 PM

I used to have a Toyota Tercel Wagon, I wanted another, only bigger.

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/...0-006-1200.jpg