ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Why do you own a Land Rover?

Old 01-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Why do you own a Land Rover?

I own one because I have always wanted one since I was about 12.
I love the looks, the ruggedness, the go anywhereness, and to be different.
If there were ever a natural disaster (hurricane, blizzard, flood, volcano)I could get my family to safety.
They are tough, reliable and will go anywhere in stock form.
With my shotgun, a cane pole and a 4x4 I can survive.

How about you? Why do you own one?

Last edited by Spike555; 01-17-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:16 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was hooked on rovers at the age of 12 as well Spike.
I was in middle school taking some sort of elective and we did a project on a make of cars.
I choose Land Rover and found a Camel trophy video (this was before youtube so it was somewhere else)
I thought the Camel trophy was the coolest thing ever and I dreamed of driving a Discovery and going off road.
I was one of those kids who thought about driving years before I could even drive.
Most kids wanted sports cars, I just wanted 4x4.
At age thirteen I became a youth soccer ref and saved every cent for 3 years and bought a Disco II at the age of 16.
Nearly 3 years later, off roading is my hobby, I'm driving the car I dreamed of driving, and Im apart of one of (if not the best) automotive communities in the world.
I love the looks, their ability, and how much history Land Rover has.
I hope for years to come I have a Land Rover sitting in my garage.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bc my 350z got totaled in a hurricane and i needed a vehicle quickly for relatively little money.... and what did i find you ask?!?!?!?

thats right limited edition 1997 land rover discovery XD...

which after the initial purchase quickly replaced the "relatively little money" with "wait, how much is that little piece?!?!?!"

Old 01-17-2010, 01:25 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Im the idiot who, as a kid, was always getting spanked for jumping into every mud puddle I ever saw, sunday clothes be damned.

I started out in jeeps and broncos but when I saw a Camel Trophy video my little heart went THUMPA! THUMPA! What was that funny looking thing with the roof racks and boxy shape?! It was so ugly, so ungainly, so dirty, so muddy, so un-stoppable, so... so BEAUTIFUL! I was in LOVE.

When i park my muddy lil' ugly duckling next to some rich kid's sportscar at the supermarket I can see the kid who drives the go-faster sneer at a guy who would be seen in public in my dirty rover with her multitude of scratches and dents on the outside, dog snot all over the inside windows, and duct tape around one headlight.
The first time it happened I was tempted to key the kid's car in defense of my rover's pride but, alas, it was unnecessary.

My baby just glanced over at Red and asked "So where have you been?"
Red's reply was a super-charger sounding "The highway, the track and the car wash. Why?".
My baby flicked a little swamp water on Red's shiny paint with her windshield wiper and smugly set Red straight; "See my family? The guy, his wife, and the Lab puppy with the muddy paws, I take them EVERYWHERE."
Then she winked at Red with her duct-taped headlight...

THATS why i love my rover...

Last edited by pilsner; 01-18-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, always liked them since watching Wild Kingdom on sunday evening's as a kid. But I never gave a lot of thought about actually buying one. In high school I drove a 2WD IH Travelall, but still did a bit of light off-roading. Then after high school I started looking for a 4WD, looked at Jeeps CJ's, Jeep J20 pickups and finally settled on an IH 4WD 200 pickup, but at $4500 I couldn't afford it. A short time later my dad and I were looking for a tractor and found someone who had a Farmall Super C and a '62 SWB 88 pickup. We bought them both and I've been infected ever since. That was late '74 early '75. Aside from a couple years when I also had a VW camper, Land Rover's have been all I've owned since I bought the '62.
I expect it's terminal.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the above and because you can sit in the heated leather seats and listen to your harmon cardon sound system while you easily cruise through any terrain from mud to snow to trails.And because its just f***in AWSOME!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

1) Always wanted one since I was a kid

2) When I got married my wife thought they were very nice and unique when I pointed them out to her on the road.

3) I could drive to the company Christmas party in the mountains at a 5 star resort and look as classy as the company CEO.

3) Scratches on my Jeep Cherokee made it look like junk, but on the Rover it shows character.

4) Everybody does not have one!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh, and SOMEBODY has to pull out all of the jeeps that get stuck, right?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because I like to sit up high and look down on people.

Honestly, for me. A buddy gave me a hell of a deal on it. I look forward to taking my family camping in GWNF and being able to "car camp" where ever the hell I want

Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because there are too many Hybrid cars around Seattle and someone's got to use all this gas we have laying around!

I fell in love with the look of the Disco long before I could drive, with the high roof, all the windows, and straight edges. It looks like it belongs perfectly in the African plains or a ski lodge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you own a Land Rover?