Series I, II, IIa, III Land Rovers For all Series Land Rovers

Charging System Fault from inadvertent battery grounding

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 10:23 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging System Fault from inadvertent battery grounding

Hey all. Thanks for any help. I have a 2014 HSE Supercharged V8.

I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happened but I don't know where to fix it. First thing that happened was we got a flat tire and I took the spare out. The next day I decided to replace the battery when I had it out as it had never been replaced. When I put the battery back in apparently I did not push the red positive terminal protector cap on hard enough. We then drove the car t the next few days (with the spare out) and everything was fine. The tire iron and jack was down in the hole where the spare tire normally covers up the battery. We went over a bump and the tire iron/jack touched the battery positive terminal (the red positive terminal protector had popped off) and the tire iron/jack grounded the positive terminal to the metal tie down bracket. The car then gave us a "Charging system fault" on the dash. We drove home on battery power.

The battery is no longer charging. 12V across battery terminals when not running and 11.4V when running. I assume I blew a fuse somewhere or blew the alternator. I went to measure the voltage coming off the alternator itself but think I need to pull some panels off to access it from the bottom of the engine? The car still starts so the mega fuse I believe is fine.

My question is there a logical fuse somewhere else that would be blown with what happened? I checked many of the fuses boxes (see pictures) but not the one on the glove box (can't get a flashlight to the side). And the second question is if there a good place to check for 14V somewhere in the car versus directly on the actual alternator so I don't have to pull panels to get to it. See pictures and notes

Thank you guys!

Nate