Series I, II, IIa, III Land Rovers For all Series Land Rovers

Electric Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 07:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts
Default Electric Conversion?

Heresy. But please forgive me. I need this.

When I was a kid, I'd visit family in California over the summers and they would take me through the desert in an old Series. I've been deeply in love ever since but it never seemed to be a vehicle I could own. Kids, city driving, Florida heat, you know.

The new Defender came out and I jumped on it. I love it but it's not the same.

Next week we close on a beach condo with a bunch of restaurants, beach driving, farmer's markets, etc. close by. While my wife is thrilled with the Moke we ordered, I need to own this.

Here's the thing; there's no way in hell I'm going to be leaking oil in the condo garage and especially on the beach. I don't want to roll around smelling my own exhaust. My wife isn't going to double clutch.

I need to find a unicorn in Marine Blue or Pastel Green. I want the beat-to-hell patina. I won't take a trash respray where they covered the galvanized bits and the spot welds. Willing to do rust work on the frame, bulkhead, etc. Want to do some of it myself. I'm working on finding it (in the US).

I'll run it and store it with doors off, refresh the interior and, please forgive me, convert it to EV. Range isn't a concern. Top speed can be 45 or so.

You will hate me for this but it's my only path.

​​​​​Any tips or experience with the EV conversion?

Last edited by _Allegedly; 06-18-2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:40 AM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

There was a recent thread in this forum about EV conversions which I can’t find at the moment. Also, a UK forum talked about this.

Last year I sold my blue patina 88” 2A which sounds like just what you are looking for, though I’m in Canada not the US. The vehicle you want will come available, just keep your eyes out on the forums. If you don’t mind looking across the border, we have Roverlanders of British Columbia, or Ottawa Valley Land Rovers where these vehicles come up for sale.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvlr
There was a recent thread in this forum about EV conversions which I can’t find at the moment. Also, a UK forum talked about this.

Last year I sold my blue patina 88” 2A which sounds like just what you are looking for, though I’m in Canada not the US. The vehicle you want will come available, just keep your eyes out on the forums. If you don’t mind looking across the border, we have Roverlanders of British Columbia, or Ottawa Valley Land Rovers where these vehicles come up for sale.
Thanks for the tip on Roverlanders BC. They seem to have a really active "for sale" forum and I can't believe the pricing. Importing to the US isn't simple for a project car but it might be worth a shot.

​​​​​Sourcing the perfect truck is going to become part of my morning coffee every day until it happens. Better than reading the news.