Series I, II, IIa, III Land Rovers For all Series Land Rovers

Series3 Petrol Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 01:24 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Series3 Petrol Fuel Problem

First of all, I'm rather new at being a mechanic and one of the reasons I bought my Land Rover was to learn how to work on engines. Unfortunately, it also means I have a steep climb ahead of me.

Here's my problem. I was playing with the choke and managed to kill the engine (previously, it was running fine). After putting the choke back to where it was, I still can't get the engine to start. It'll turn over fine but never seems to get gas. If I pour a little gas into the carbs, it'll start and run until that is used up and then die again.

I thought maybe the fuel filter was clogged (I had that problem in my old Toyota) So I disconnected the fuel line between the fuel filter and the carb and there was gas there - but it looks like it had just been trapped in the fuel filter assembly itself. Next, I took the fuel filter off, but there doesn't seem to be any gas flowing. I put the fuel line into a cup and turned over the engine to see if the fuel pump was pushing any gas through, but got nothing. Now, I don't know if that's the right way to check that. Does that indicate a bad fuel pump? Why would messing with the choke cause the fuel pump to stop working? Is that purely coincidence? Do I just need to re-prime the system? If so, how do I do that?

Sorry for all the questions. Just don't know what the next steps should be. Any guidance would be appreciated. My rig was working just fine up until this point. Thanks!

Last edited by BlankDan; 02-15-2022 at 01:27 AM. Reason: typos galore
Old 02-15-2022, 07:21 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

I replaced my mechanical fuel pump with an electric one. This cleared up my similar issues.