Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little help - blower/electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..and I'm not getting that swing in voltage anymore. I went back and redid my fusebox connections and maaybe that helped.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Subscribing.

I guess I got lucky because mine started right up. I didn't realize that you were splicing the pontiac blower.

Here's a picture of what I did, wiring wise.

I'll re read the thread.

The following users liked this post:
slanginsanjuan (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 05:02 PM
Pro Wrench

nothing worked so i removed the connector and spliced and tried both wires of the new fan and still nothing. voltage seems to be okay.

still doesn't work. not sure where to look now.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
nothing worked so i removed the connector and spliced and tried both wires of the new fan and still nothing. voltage seems to be okay.

still doesn't work. not sure where to look now.
Wow you are having hell with that blower. I just checked my wires again and I connected the red Pontiac to the red and white Rover wire, and the black Pontiac to the black Rover wire. I can't find my Pontiac connector (which I just cut off) but your picture of yours matches my recollection. I'm checking my voltage at the land rover end right now. I'll post the result.

Edit: Holy **** my scanner is dead and I don't have a 9v battery in my entire house! I'll get some when I go out.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-19-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Pro Wrench

OK. Thanks Charlie....I need to go back to the beginning. Either now in the dark or early tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:30 AM
Pro Wrench

How can the blower power get 13v and the fan not operate? Neither the old or new. Direct power works.

I keep thinking I screwed up the bypass somehow (wrong cables) but the things that worked still do and the things that didn't, still don't.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:13 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
How can the blower power get 13v and the fan not operate? Neither the old or new. Direct power works.

I keep thinking I screwed up the bypass somehow (wrong cables) but the things that worked still do and the things that didn't, still don't.
I did a little reading on this last night and I keep seeing three causes. First the connector is burnt. The suggestion was to follow the wires from the blower to the right and splice around anything burnt. Second was the power transistor. Whatever that is. I thought fans had a resistor and that's it. And then some had fuse box problems.

I'd be, and am, as stumped as you if the blower worked with a direct battery connection, the loom wires had power, but then here was no power when connected to the loom wires. I just don't get it. There has to be some issue.

When you ran it straight from a battery source what did you use to ground it? Maybe the ground on the loom wires is the problem.

BY loom wires I mean the ones that are already in the truck. Wiring harness wires.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Pro Wrench

i did remove the connector that is known to go bad. it appeared fine but i spliced it anyway.
i removed the connectors on the fan.

the glove box is not off and there is a connector up to the left underside of the glovebox. i can't see how it connects and it's a bit up there but i think i have to get to it.

i read so much it's all swimming in my head. i remember someone saying it was a transistor and not a resistor...i think.

thanks for checking into it. i'll keep going for it.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Pro Wrench

we ran a single cable (with fuse) from the pos battery to the blower fan power (black?) and it was ok if not awesome.

this connector looks fine. I don't want to arbitrarily splice things anymore because I'm further confusing myself.

id do a direct connection to the engine fusebox but i really want some fan control especially if its powerful and im thinking i'm having a similar problem with my rear ac and windshield wipers.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Pro Wrench

this is my drivers fusebox bypass....

does it look like I have the right cables spliced? Charlie I know you didnt do the bypass but maybe someone else might chime in.

so one wire goes from the engine fusebox to the drivers fusebox and the other goes from the blower stuff to the drivers fusebox. i bypassed the drivers fusebox and attached the wires with an inline fuse. I hope.

im having a hard time with the multimeter..it's new and decent but just doesnt seem to work for me. a lesson in electricity would probably be helpful first.

Quick Reply: little help - blower/electrical problem