Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to store a Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default How to store a Disco II

After 17 years of fun and misery keeping my Disco II running most of the time, I need to store it for awhile. I'd like to say that I retired after selling my dot com and am going to sail around the world on my yacht, but the truth is that I am waiting for a particular group of individuals to finish their kit to put a Chevy engine in it. It might be awhile. I just bought the diesel of my dreams so I took the Disco II off insurance and, at the end of this month, it won't be registered (so the state of Texas can go ahead and prepare its hate mail about non registered vehicles. I am ready).

I will never, ever, part with my Disco unless flying cars are cheap; I should live so long.

The plan is to stick the Disco in my garage for a few months. Or a year. Whatever it takes. This needs to happen soon because my wife hates the Disco and would probably sell it for five bucks unless it was crammed in the back of the garage, immobile, and hemmed in by other immovable items. Mine sat in the garage for five years once and I distinctly remember the tires, one coil spring, and all four shocks being ruined when I took it out. The gas was fine, by the way.

​​​​​​I have better tires, springs, and shocks now, so how can I keep them from cracking and losing their shape? Jack stands? I hate leaving a metal jack stand against my no rust frame so is there a better way? If so or if not, how many stands and where?

I'm just looking for some good storage suggestions. Any tips on what to do about fluids would be great, too.

Also, I traded my battery in a couple of days ago, under warranty of course, so should I disconnect it? If so, what's the best thing to do vis a vi the alarm. I haven't had a working key for for several years. When it sat for 5 years before, it did wake up screaming (just like me, when I had my wisdom teeth removed), but I had a key fob.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 10-14-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
​​​​​​I have better tires, springs, and shocks now, so how can I keep them from cracking and losing their shape? Jack stands? I hate leaving a metal jack stand against my no rust frame so is there a better way? If so or if not, how many stands and where?
Jack stands under the frame and the front and rear diff's should do it. If you don't want metal on metal, them a piece of rubber between the jacks and the metal should suffice. (think hockey puck with both surfaces roughed up for traction.)

.I'm just looking for some good storage suggestions. Any tips on what to do about fluids would be great, too.
Fluids, change all of them. Make sure everything is fresh.

Also, I traded my battery in a couple of days ago, under warranty of course, so should I disconnect it? If so, what's the best thing to do vis a vi the alarm. I haven't had a working key for for several years. When it sat for 5 years before, it did wake up screaming (just like me, when I had my wisdom teeth removed), but I had a key fob.
Thats a tough one. It depends on how long we are gonna be waiting, but that is an unknown and you dont have a working key, so i would say leave it connected, with a battery maintainer.

Interior and exterior - wash and wax like never before.
Clean like its the first time you are meeting the Mrs., shes coming over to your place and you are trying to get some......

Release fuel pressure. (Leave the fuse on the dash with a nice sign so you dont forget.)

Dont leave the parking brake up.

Store tires stacked on top of each other. Overinflated and marked for relative location on vehicle.

Or you can skip 90% of everything i just said and get one on these

The Storage Bubble, not the Range Rover Sport.

Last edited by dgi 07; 10-14-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

When it sat for 5 years before, it did wake up screaming (just like me, when I had my wisdom teeth removed), but I had a key fob.

TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT!

Old 10-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

I wonder if you could jack the frame up a few inches on both sides to relieve the stress on your suspension and tires. I would be more concerned about the tires were it sitting outside in the elements with weight on it for 6-months-plus but as long as you walk by it in your garage everyday you can always add air. fuel stabilizer? you always talk about putting your Rover in time-out, but this is just cruel and unusual punishment. is the engine assembled and installed at this point, or is it still on the stand?

The following users liked this post:
dgi 07 (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
. fuel stabilizer? ?
knew i forgot something.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878

TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT!
The choices are sooooo limited ................. stumpy or clintox .................... could be as bad as Ms T May et al

Just ask the girls he frigged what they honestly think

Old 10-14-2016, 01:42 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

More to the point eh.

Store somewhere dry and preferably warm/heated, defo dry though and ventilated.

The problem with long term storage is the seals everywhere may dry out and harden.

IMO drain down all of your fluids but leave the gas and introduce stabilizer into it. Be careful the fuel tank doesn't rust internally. I would put my vehicle on axle stands under the frame if it's going to be more than 12 months standing. Don't forget to remove the battery and connect to an Optimate trickle charger or similar. Also change the brake fluid both before and after storage as it's hygroscopic. Spray all the underneath mechanicals with 50/50 paraffin and oil mixture but remove all the 4x wheels first and store them.

Check the condition of the truck regularly for mould internally and rust on the body etc.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 855 Likes on 622 Posts

Chubs, I don't know where you live, but what about this as an alternative? Even if it is not registered and is uninsured take it out and drive it once a month even if only around your neighborhood until it gets up to operating temperature. That should keep everything lubricated, etc.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:10 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

I also suggest something like this if you are not planning to jack the truck up for storage:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...+tire+ramps.do

Old 10-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Wow! Great suggestions. I hadn't even thought about fuel stabilizer. The last time (5 years in garage) I put stabilizer in the fuel tank just before I tried starting it. It started but the pump was sick and I had to replace it.

Love the comment about first dates. I'm about to have grandchildren but I vaguely remember the concept of dating so that helps. Brush my hair, put new jeans on, floss teeth...

Okay I have a little room for Jack stands before I hit the overhead door when the garage is open. I hadn't thought about the diffs. I wonder if the jacks I have will play nicely on their stops.

My garage is dry. Usually. It is partially under ground so occasionally water gets in and takes a while to evaporate (few days). Maybe once a year. When I had it poured I didn't realize that the contractor failed to slope the slab what an AHOLE. Offroad you have access to mystical sprays I have never heard of, but I'll look for that. I am absolutely fixated on zero rust iI wipe my frame with motor oil and sand and paint any that shows up! I am demented!). Maybe I've missed wax spray at the store. I'll check. That's a great tip.

Last week I was replacing the taillight on my excursion and the bulbs were bad. I just drove it to the auto parts store with the wires hanging out on both sides and popped new ones in. I live in an area where I could probably get away with an occasional drive. And, anyway, I'm ME. Not scared. But the plan is to put it in the garage safe and sound since, with zero insurance, a hail storm would ruin my day.
​​​​​​

I wasnt intending to write lines for Trump's campaign but if he uses it I want a royalty.

Quick Reply: How to store a Disco II