Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xyz?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:27 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default xyz?

I been having two of the three amigo lights come on only when I put it in reverse. It's the M and S lights then also the shifter light is blinking. I also have a 0734 fault code which I know is transmission related. I haven't checked the voltage of the alternator yet but will do this today. Also put a new battery in because my old one was going on 5 years. I'm pretty sure this is the XYZ which I ordered a new one and waiting for it in the mail but just wanted to double check here on the boards...

Thanks

Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

The 3 amigos are Traction control, Hill Decent, and ABS lights. What you're describing sounds like the XYZ so you should be good when it arrives in the mail..

Old 12-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Mudding

Thanks Kern,

I'll get that installed when it arrives. I'm at 140K and starting to see some gremlins pop their heads up. It's not my everyday driver anymore so I guess I'll keep er' around for a few more years. Just really love driving it in the winter months.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

I don't understand. You seem to be mixing terms. You refer to two of the Three Amigos, but then you say the M&S lights. And then you refer to the "shifter light." I don't know what the shifter light is. Are you referring to the instrument panel LCD gear indicator?

There are 14 different faults that can trigger the flashing M&S lights, and only one of them is caused by a faulty XYZ switch, so unless you're getting a P0705 code or seeing other XYZ-specific symptoms you may be wasting your money buying a new XYZ.

And also, according to the RAVE the P0734 code does not trigger the M&S lights.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Mudding

the two red lights by the shifter, P,D,N,etc. Those lights are flashing along with the M and S in the instrument cluster are also flashing. I thought all the threads I had read up on was pointing to the XYZ. I thought the 3 amigos were the M, S, and whatever the third light green light is? Are those 3 not the 3 amigos?

Old 12-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by hankeester
the two red lights by the shifter, P,D,N,etc. Those lights are flashing along with the M and S in the instrument cluster are also flashing. I thought all the threads I had read up on was pointing to the XYZ. I thought the 3 amigos were the M, S, and whatever the third light green light is? Are those 3 not the 3 amigos?
These are the 3 amigos:

Your issue is transmission related and most likely has to do with the xyz switch. I had all the same symptoms and it cost $325 at an independent auto place to fix (located within the gear box between your 2 front seats). This occurred over 8 years ago when I first purchased my Rover and was a PITA because it became difficult over time to figure out what gear I was in - especially in the dark. M&S lights flashing, gear shifter not working, etc. I didn't check codes at the time so I can't say if I had the P0734 code pop up, but it is my understanding that the code P0734 is detected when A/T cannot be shifted to the 4th gear position, even if electrical circuit is good. The 3 amigos are a completely separate issue - which, apparently, you don't have.

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 12-12-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the clarification. I follow you now. I do have the 3 amigos as my TC light comes on when I slip in the snow. I ordered a xyz for 135 and am going to tackle it myself. I've read the wire harness is the hardest part to get at.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by hankeester
Thanks for the clarification. I follow you now. I do have the 3 amigos as my TC light comes on when I slip in the snow. I ordered a xyz for 135 and am going to tackle it myself. I've read the wire harness is the hardest part to get at.
You don't really have the '3 amigos'. The '3 amigos' is a slang term that refers to a problem where all 3 lights (TC, decent and ABS) are on constantly due to an ABS sensor issue, etc. (see photo above). You'd know if you had the '3 amigos' as your ABS, traction control and hill decent will not work. I need to fix mine still.. makes winter driving fun so I stick to flat ground Your TC is working fine and is doing it's job...

Old 12-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Hankeester, check out this post of mine from a couple years ago. It will help you prepare for and perform replacement of the XYZ.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...50/#post491521

I'm still skeptical that the problem is the XYZ but at this point the replacement is already on its way to you so you may as well install it and see what happens.

In any case please be sure to post your results here. Good luck.

Last edited by mln01; 12-12-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:45 PM
Mudding

MLN, thanks for the share, this will make the install a lot easier with directions. I have found that the lights only come on in reverse. I clear engine codes off my Ultra Gauge and the minute I go in reverse is when they pop back on.

Quick Reply: xyz?