Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this be Flexplate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:29 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Replaced my flex plate a few months back. It was not the same sound and it only occurred at idle. Once you were in gear it went away.
Thanks. Its now sounding like a jungle underneath my truck since i did the head gasket a month agio. Now, no leak and all dried up and they are not getting lubrication. I hear all sorts of critters below. All pulleys brand new and more squeak now. Do you think raising 4 wheels and runinng it is a good idea?

Old 12-28-2016, 03:30 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Replaced my flex plate a few months back. It was not the same sound and it only occurred at idle. Once you were in gear it went away.
Thanks. Its now sounding like a jungle underneath my truck since i did the head gasket a month agio. Now, no leak and all dried up and they are not getting lubrication. I hear all sorts of critters below. All pulleys brand new and more squeak now. Do you think raising 4 wheels and runinng it is a good idea?

Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Desperate times call for desperate measures. A jungle?! Something is coming apart and notwithstanding my read on the audio the most likely culprit (just because it is the most metal to shed and spin) is the flex plate, or some awful gear trashing somewhere.

I have run mine off the ground but you know it isn't a safe thing to do....

Old 12-29-2016, 03:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

Are you sure you didn't crack one of your SAI intake tubes...or one is slightly loose?

Boy, running a vehicle in gear while on jack stands is something I've never done (while being under neath), in nearly forty years of being a mechanic. I've ran vehicles in gear on the hoist, without any concerns. But, I've never felt comfortable about being under a vehicle, running-with wheels spinning, on jack stands.

Probably the only way I would attempt such a maneuver, would be to have jack stands under the frame and both axles...and maybe throw in a little praying for good measure...lol.

Brian.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Desperate times call for desperate measures. A jungle?! Something is coming apart and notwithstanding my read on the audio the most likely culprit (just because it is the most metal to shed and spin) is the flex plate, or some awful gear trashing somewhere.

I have run mine off the ground but you know it isn't a safe thing to do....
I think I saw one of your post with your truck on 4 stilts and thought of doing that. I just can't hear any noise when idling or reving the engine when parked.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:49 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Are you sure you didn't crack one of your SAI intake tubes...or one is slightly loose?

Boy, running a vehicle in gear while on jack stands is something I've never done (while being under neath), in nearly forty years of being a mechanic. I've ran vehicles in gear on the hoist, without any concerns. But, I've never felt comfortable about being under a vehicle, running-with wheels spinning, on jack stands.

Probably the only way I would attempt such a maneuver, would be to have jack stands under the frame and both axles...and maybe throw in a little praying for good measure...lol.

Brian.
thanks Brian for the advice on safety. I won't go under when the engine is running. Although, its high enough. I changed xyz, transmission filter and all O2 without jacking the truck. My wife is pissed coz I used her exercise mat all the time an now its all greasy. Need to replace that too coz she's gaining weight again. hehe

Oh, BTW, i have no codes showing. If the SAI is cracked, it will show some certain codes right?
Gerry

Old 12-29-2016, 10:02 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
I think I saw one of your post with your truck on 4 stilts and thought of doing that. I just can't hear any noise when idling or reving the engine when parked.
It was this one.

But when I as running it on stands, there were eight stands and two jacks, and I made sure my life insurance had been paid up.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:26 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
It was this one.

But when I as running it on stands, there were eight stands and two jacks, and I made sure my life insurance had been paid up.
HAHAHAHAHA! NICE! That is the one and its yours with the ARB front bumper. BTW, are you using wheel spacers?

Old 01-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Camel Trophy

Yes, 2" Bora spacers because I went full cowboy on my tire selection (rather than thinking) and they rubbed. Now they still rub, but in a different place. HAHA

Old 01-09-2017, 04:05 PM
TReK

Updating an old thread. Noise fixed. It was the front drive shaft making those clunking noise.

One of the joint in the back of front drive shaft deteriorated.

Quick Reply: Could this be Flexplate?