Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a copy of the official LR engine rebuild pdf?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Anyone have a copy of the official LR engine rebuild pdf?

Hi, I am in the process of replacing all the top end gaskets on my son's D2 after it throwing the p0300 code and then smoke testing it and watching the smoke signals (there were two).

We did a rebuild almost 2 years ago, and at the time I had both the Rave and a shorter (<40page) but much more detailed official D2 engine rebuild document from LR as well.

Unfortunately, my computer drive crashed. The Rave is easy to find, the engine rebuild less so.

As I recall, the rebuild document was way more detailed than the Rave section on the engine rebuild.

Specifically, I recall it pointing out areas/points on the valley gasket especially susceptible to leakage and where to be extra careful/generous with the blue gasket sealer. That is the info I am really interested in.

and on that point, does anyone know whether you should blue-seal just the head side of the valley gasket or both the head side and the lower manifold side as well?

Help with the rebuild doc and the sealant question would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

4th edition attached. Good luck

I put permatex ultra black on the notches at all four corners of the valley.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks. I seem to recall the cover of the version being D2 specific (and not LR general), but otherwise exactly what I was looking for.

Which permatex product did you use ? I already bought more of the blue hylomar that is spec'ed in the Rave. And did you use sealant on both sides of the gasket where it mated with the intake and coolant ports and those valley end caps?

Also, when we did the rebuild, I had the heads checked for warpage but can't remember if they were decked as well. Trying to find the receipt for that, but I seem to recall being a little excited about the extra compression.

My brother pointed out to me, however, that if the heads are decked, then the intake should be as well in order to maintain the correct geometry. Could this be the reason why it leaked after less than 2 years? Thoughts on that?

Old 01-24-2017, 08:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Also, any opinion on using sealant on the rocker cover gaskets?

The manual says install them dry, i.e., no sealant.

We did "dry" during the rebuild, and one cover has not leak at all while the other had some seepage all the way around.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:39 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I've never heard of machining the intake.

I couldn't find Blue Hylomar, I've used Permatex UltraBlue. Sadly I have to redo all of my gaskets (front cover, oil pan so far), should I change? The only stuff I can find locally is Permatex.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

I've never heard of machining the intake either.

The 3rd edition of the overhaul manual specified hylomar PL32 only on the crucifix seals (rear seal). The 4th edition makes no mention of hylomar anywhere.

No sealant around the intake ports... read the RAVE on where to put it. Its the notch + a line going parallel with the crank. Like a lollipop

For the valley gasket the only suitable sealants are the official STC50550 (loctite 5900), right stuff, or
Permatex
https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...asket-maker-4/

Rocker cover gaskets
https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...asket-sealant/

And get a new set of bolts for the rocker covers. They have a built-in o-ring

Old 01-25-2017, 07:51 AM
Rock Crawling

I thought that the Hylomar Blue PL32 aero was the spec'ed STC50550. Bummer if I got that wrong because we used it everywhere: not just the cruxiform seals, but also the oil pan, oil pump/water pump and of course the valley gasket. Oil pan has been an issue leaking, but so far not the oil pump/water pump -- knock on wood. I put the rocker gaskets on "dry" as suggested in the manual -- one side (drivers) shows no leaks while the other side is seeping.

Guess I got caught up in the Hylomar marketing: specified sealant for use on Rolls Royce aircraft engines, etc.

That might explain why the valley gasket came right off -- no adhesion at all to the heads or block -- and there was no residue of the Hylomar at all, same along the notches. Only silver lining is that there no scrapping/solvents needed to get the old stuff off.

At the risk of seeming lazy, can you point me to page(s) in the Rave and/or rebuild manual that explains the sealing procedure for the valley gasket, where to put sealant and where not to put it, etc., as I can't seem to find it.

So you suggest a sealant on the rocker cover gaskets. And I used new rocker bolts on the rebuild and have another new set of them for the rebuild of the rebuild.

Thanks again for the advice.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

There is a good cross reference for all the sealants

Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM
Pro Wrench

Put the sealant where the heads meet the cylinder block in that notch on all 4 corners then across the front and rear where the rubber piece sits. I used the loctite and due to its high temp, I used a little on the heads to help tack intake manifold gasket.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench

Also here is a link to get the manuals if you need anymore
Discovery