Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice?!

Whats happening! What a great resource this has been.... I have an 03 disco2 with the death knock and am looking to either replace the motor OR buy an 02 with 130k miles with 1 owner and no issues. With that being said... I realize that at that mileage if nothing has happened yet then it will! I would love any advice on what route to take.....I could buy another make of vehicle but that doesnt seem to make sense after driving a disco!

Old 01-29-2017, 12:49 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by disco'ed
Whats happening! What a great resource this has been.... I have an 03 disco2 with the death knock and am looking to either replace the motor OR buy an 02 with 130k miles with 1 owner and no issues. With that being said... I realize that at that mileage if nothing has happened yet then it will! I would love any advice on what route to take.....I could buy another make of vehicle but that doesnt seem to make sense after driving a disco!
I had all the symptoms of the loud anoying knock of years until the head gasket leaked and replaced. After the fix, the knock disappeared until now. Many said it was a stuck lifter after all. My other disco with over 170k dont have knock whatsoever, so, you might get lucky with the 130k with no issues. your call.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:57 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

My advice would be take it apart and look before spending thousands. As mentioned if it has not had the head gaskets changed yet, it will need them soon.

Do you have any idea what the inside of the engine looks like? If not now would be a good time to find out.

You don't mention how long you have owned it and how long its been knocking and what if anything you have done about it.

I've heard the death knock once, not on my truck, and it was not a good sound but the dude was driving it!!!

If you have the time, place, tools and skills at least find out what is going on before just spending money. At that point you can make an educated decision.

Last edited by Dave03S; 01-29-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:01 PM
Overlanding
Default Thanks fellas

So, I have had it since July, it has knocked the whole time.... originally was told it was the lifters and would be fine. I am a complete novice and really have no idea about working on the truck. I recently took it in to a rover mechanic... he was certain the motor will die and it's just a matter of time... thinking about buying the 02 and learning to work on the 03... just want to know what to look out for in that year motor... I know the valley pan was replaced..

Old 01-29-2017, 02:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine started knocking shortly after I bought it. It was very loud and seemed to be originating from the bottom end but could be heard from the top. I was 100% convinced it was a liner slapping the head.

Since I figured I didn't have anything to loose, I looked into pinning the cylinders, but in the interest of rulling out the lifters I put in a bottle of rizlone. Lo and behold the knock completely disappeared within a couple hundred miles.

This knock was loud, like big rod end completely missing a bearing loud, but turned out to just be a sticky lifter.

Moral of the story, put in some rizlone with a fresh oul change and see what happens

Old 01-29-2017, 02:41 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Dittos on the above, and be sure you are using an oil made for diesel motors as these engines need the additives and the detergents help clean out the gunk left over from a lack of maintenance. A good choice would be Rotella T4 15w40 non synthetic... $12.98 per gallon at Wal-Mart.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:17 PM
Overlanding
Default Which rislone product?

Well... that is for sure worth it! Thanks a ton I will try it there seems to be a couple options which one did you use?

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Mine started knocking shortly after I bought it. It was very loud and seemed to be originating from the bottom end but could be heard from the top. I was 100% convinced it was a liner slapping the head.

Since I figured I didn't have anything to loose, I looked into pinning the cylinders, but in the interest of rulling out the lifters I put in a bottle of rizlone. Lo and behold the knock completely disappeared within a couple hundred miles.

This knock was loud, like big rod end completely missing a bearing loud, but turned out to just be a sticky lifter.

Moral of the story, put in some rizlone with a fresh oul change and see what happens

Old 01-29-2017, 03:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Old 01-29-2017, 05:04 PM
Overlanding
Default Thanks!

Thanks just added some... we'll see! Also all my abs, brake and traction control lights are on but seems to be functioning properly? Any ideas there?
QUOTE=KingKoopa;594085]

[/QUOTE]

Old 01-29-2017, 05:11 PM
Overlanding
Default Thanks!

Thanks just added some... we'll see! Also all my abs, brake and traction control lights are on but seems to be functioning properly? Any ideas there?
QUOTE=KingKoopa;594085]

[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Advice?!