Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Oil Odor

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

ok.. so it finally warmed up some and I have photos of the area I think is causing the mess. Valve Cover Gaskets? I have to admit I haven't tried tightening the bolts. Probably the next step, huh?

I'm so lame.. I know.

I'm starting to get a little confidence haha... thanks for your input!!

Old 03-19-2017, 05:16 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I see the drop of coolant on the bolt in the bottom pic with the arrow. The only place that could be coming from would be the throttle body heater. It drips down and lands either on the manifold or in the spark plug holes nearby which can cause a brief misfire, not enough to feel but will trigger a code.

I also see the oil seepage around the edge of the valve cover gaskets but my bet on a burning smell is the coolant. Can you take a picture of the TBH without the air intake hose in the way?

Have you been having to add coolant?

Old 03-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

The dark marks on the exhaust manifold is oil. I think you have a larger oil leak than you believe if the manifolds are soaked in oil. Also, I see the green bolt as well, not sure how antifreeze would get there unless you have a leak in the hose that goes to your throttle body warmer plate.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

well there goes the confidence haha..

I'll go feel up the engine and see if that's coolant or oil. I didn't even notice it until I took the photos. I had my battery replaced a few months back and the guy at autozone broke a coolant line that runs over the top of the radiator. The break was near the battery though so that wouldn't explain the drop on the bolt. Also, the throttle body heater was replaced 3 years ago. Suppose it could be having fits again.

Yes, I agree that's oil on the exhaust manifold and most likely what is causing the odor. No, I don't go thru a lot of oil but have about 3 nice drops (quarter sized) on the ground after parking at work for the day.

So.. suggestions? this is more than I believe I can handle (if it involves tearing the engine apart). Many save my dinero, huh?

Um.. stupid question but what does a misfire feel like? I may have had one today. Scared the hell out of me.

C-

Old 03-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok, just went out to test that spot on the bolt and it is bone dry. It's just permanently green.. must have been left over from my throttle body disaster or my St Patty's day bender (jk). I can't even rub it off.

Back to the oil leak. Nope.. not losing much oil, it has just been going on for a long time. Need to figure out what to do about it. Tighten bolts or am I past that point?

Thanks again,

Christina

Old 03-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Ok, just went out to test that spot on the bolt and it is bone dry. It's just permanently green.. must have been left over from my throttle body disaster or my St Patty's day bender (jk). I can't even rub it off.

Back to the oil leak. Nope.. not losing much oil, it has just been going on for a long time. Need to figure out what to do about it. Tighten bolts or am I past that point?

Thanks again,

Christina
try giving the bolts a few turns but, I think some gaskets need to be replaced. It is something you can do, check YouTube for a walk through

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
try giving the bolts a few turns but, I think some gaskets need to be replaced. It is something you can do, check YouTube for a walk through
X1 .... try the bolts but I agree the gaskets may need replacing but also check your engine breather is clear and not creating sump pressure. Defo looks like oil stains on the exhaust manifold(s) hence the smell of burning oil.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

If it does come to valve cover gasket replacement, I found some great valve cover bolts on eBay that have orings on them to help out.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Will do..

thanks again,

C-

Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Its that burning oil smell. If you will tighten the bolts, I would suggest get the gasket since I am sure that you have to remove some components to get to some the bolts anyway. Once youre that far to tighten them, just remove them instead and replace gasket. Theres a lot of help here.

Quick Reply: Burning Oil Odor