Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Head Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Parts lis

Could you post a comprehensive parts list when done. I wanna get all items so I am ready when I feel ambitious.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More work....Damnit Valve cover bolts!

Got some more work done on the DII today. It being Florida, I was molested by mosquitos the whole time, sweat my *** off, and almost stepped on a snake. Ugh, the joys of the subtropics.

Started in on getting the inlet manifold off. Pulled the PAS pump pulley and the Jockey pulley off. No trouble there, only one bolt wanted to stick. Hit it with some PB blaster, gave it 5 minutes, and she came right off.

AC Compressor was then set off to the side, as was suggested by literally EVERYONE on the forum. Great place to free up some space while you work!

Got the last bracket unscrewed on the auxiliary housing. Came right off after removing this bit.

Once I could actually see the Driver Side valve covers, I was not impressed. This thing is covered in THICK mucky oil residue, some coolant floating around in the crannies as well!

Gave her an initial clean off, to massage my OCD.

Now to get the Coolant Outlet Elbow off. No sweat here!

THIS is where I got stuck, could not for the life of me figure out what size and type the bolt heads are that hold the valve/rocker covers on. I've got a good set of tools and could not get anything to hold.

Another thing; is the scaling that you can see on the coolant outlet elbow normal?

Any input is welcome!

Cheers!

Old 06-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by zuke
Could you post a comprehensive parts list when done. I wanna get all items so I am ready when I feel ambitious.
Absolutely Zuke, I'll let you know what came off and what went on when I'm all finished! Naturally, I'm going to be rebuilding lots of bits while I'm this deep in the engine. Naturally, it's going to be more expensive than I told my wife...

Old 06-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew White
THIS is where I got stuck, could not for the life of me figure out what size and type the bolt heads are that hold the valve/rocker covers on. I've got a good set of tools and could not get anything to hold.
1/4" drive 5/16" 12 point socket.
They can be hard to find, I got mine from a used tool store.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by BackInA88
1/4" drive 5/16" 12 point socket.
They can be hard to find, I got mine from a used tool store.
Excellent. I'll look into it!

Old 06-27-2017, 01:29 PM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

I think they're actually 8mm 12-point with a 1/4" drive. A deep socket is helpful too.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for all the input so far guys. Had today off so I got to work early.

Got the rocker covers and inlet manifold off. I was planning on making it all the way to the heads...

BUT I saw this when I got in there. This is probably a dumb question but here goes: Are these normal holes? You can see through to the camshaft! Seriously nervous about this...

Old 07-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, those are normal opening for oil to drain onto the camshaft. Yours, to me, seem bigger and have more ragged edges than I recall. DO NOT ALLOW DIRT, BOLTS, OR OTHER HARD BITS IN THERE! It can damage the rotating assemblies. A misplaced bolt there means dropping the oil pan to search for it. Be sure those pushrods are numbered and replaced as they were.

The following 2 users liked this post by PalmettoDisco:
Matthew White (07-03-2017), No Doubt (07-05-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by PalmettoDisco
Yes, those are normal opening for oil to drain onto the camshaft. Yours, to me, seem bigger and have more ragged edges than I recall. DO NOT ALLOW DIRT, BOLTS, OR OTHER HARD BITS IN THERE! It can damage the rotating assemblies. A misplaced bolt there means dropping the oil pan to search for it. Be sure those pushrods are numbered and replaced as they were.
I have it nice and covered up so nothing should get down in there. This is the first time I've ever opened an engine up and it definitely looks much more ragged than I thought it would. Think it's a problem at all? Everything online I've found is pretty vague. I haven't been able to see any sheared off metal, or bits laying around the area so if it did "break" it wasn't recently.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew White
Thanks for all the input so far guys. Had today off so I got to work early.

Got the rocker covers and inlet manifold off. I was planning on making it all the way to the heads...

BUT I saw this when I got in there. This is probably a dumb question but here goes: Are these normal holes? You can see through to the camshaft! Seriously nervous about this...

Normal rough casting. They all look like that.

​​​​​​BUT, LOOK IN THE TOP LEFT CORNER OF THE PIC. BETWEEN THE LIFTER CASTINGS. ROUND PIECE OF METAL.

get that out of there!

Quick Reply: Disco II Head Project