Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurricane Harvey and Best4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Hope he and all Texas members affected are ok. Hope Texas gets back on its feet quickly!

Old 09-04-2017, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Huge thanks to the everyone that was concerned! Yes me, and my wife & two little girls survived Harvey's 52inch of rain flooding. When I last posted we still had power & the communications were still up. However the flooding wasn't over even after Harvey had passed as then the Neches river flooded as they had to fully open a Dam Upstream. That is when communication ceased, and then we completely lost power. I actually live in a smaller town east of Beaumont, TX called Vidor, TX (put Beaumont in my profile to help people know where I was vs saying Vidor).

We were flooded in with no where to go, but my home did not flood & not a single one of my Land Rover's were taken by the flood waters.

We used generators to keep the fridge going so we'd have food. We already had stocked up on bottled water for Hurricane season with plenty of food as well.

I did use my 99 D2 (tallest one) a lot to take people thru the flood waters (highest water was just even with the top of my hood). It did it a total of 6 times not to mention using it for supply runs & trying to find a safe route out. I'm getting a P0336 fault now so I'll have to look into the CPS. Checked diff fluids today & both were still perfect with no water getting into them. I plan on changing the TC fluid when I can.

I would have done more but the national guard showed up with huge trucks so they could completely evacuate the small town of Pine Forest which basically got wiped off the map due to flooding. My oldest was supposed to start Kindergarten last week, but now she is off until further notice.

It is still completely out of control down here, the power was finally restored after nearly 3 days, but the communications are still hit or miss. The water on the Neches finally did crest and it's going down, but recovery is going to be a very long process. My inlaws got flooded out as did their parents, so for the past few days we've been removing carpet & water to keep the mold from going nuts and to try and save as much as possible.

My family is extremely blessed, and I am happy all my LR's survived. That 99 D2 got put thru it's paces with water up to the side mirrors at times and over the hood without giving me any issues. The P0336 popped today after it sat over night. I went over it very well after all the high water driving and everything is in great shape. I'll grease the shafts, oil change, and TC and call it a day.

Only thing I did loose were some spare parts that were in my shop (which did flood), but that is a very small price to pay! Thanks again for everyone being concerned about me and my family.

God Bless,

Tad

Last edited by Best4x4; 09-04-2017 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 847 Likes on 617 Posts

I'm so glad to hear you and your family are okay. I'm especially glad to hear that your home did not flood. In the end the trucks are just trucks but it's also nice to hear your '99 proved its mettle. I don't know that I would've tried going through water that deep. I guess your door seals must've held and that you didn't get water inside the cab. It's also amazing you didn't get water sucked into the engine, or do you have a snorkel on that truck?

Old 09-04-2017, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mln01
I'm so glad to hear you and your family are okay. I'm especially glad to hear that your home did not flood. In the end the trucks are just trucks but it's also nice to hear your '99 proved its mettle. I don't know that I would've tried going through water that deep. I guess your door seals must've held and that you didn't get water inside the cab. It's also amazing you didn't get water sucked into the engine, or do you have a snorkel on that truck?
The issue with the water being so high was the IDIOTS out on the road. The deep water was maybe 2ft deep, but you had to go 1/4 mile thru it. Once out in the deep part people wouldn't wait to go one by one so you bow wave would slap into theirs causing 4-5ft water instantly...... If I had the time/permission I'd have taken over that flooded crossing and controlled it properly. I just got unlucky out in the middle with idiots coming right at me vs waiting everytime. I also forgot to mention all the air-boats blasting by.

I had to take the chance to get people in/out. Or get supplies back into us. My D2 does not have a snorkel, but all my hoses, air box lid, flex hose to the fender are in mint shape. I checked my air filter after each crossing & it never got wet.

Only thing that died was my RF headlight (full of nasty water). My door seals are in great shape & the carpet got as damp as opening the doors to get in during a rain storm and thats it.

I plan on getting a snorkel on it for sure now. I was thinking about it a while back, but said nah it never rains here that much lol boy was I wrong.

I would have had my 04's front timing cover off along with the oil pan, but I just had this feeling to put that project off. Had it been apart the bottom of the engine would have only been inches from the flood water that went thru my shop!

On the upside the underside of that D2 hasn't been thst clean since it was built lol.

Last edited by Best4x4; 09-04-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,185 Likes on 849 Posts

Glad you're safe and sound. Can't even imagine the clean up that will have to take place.

Brian.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Glad you're safe and sound. Can't even imagine the clean up that will have to take place.

Brian.

Yeah I was here for Rita & Ike, but this is much much worse unfortunately.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Glad you and your family are OK.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dtmbinb
Glad you and your family are OK.

Thank you very much.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry for the large pic, but this is just how close I got to being washed away. When it was all said & done it was 1/2 inch to 1inch max before it flooded my house, but just at the breaking point the water stopped rising and then went down 1/4 an inch at a time. It took nearly 3 days to see my yard again.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Good to hear you and the family are safe Best4x4, it looks by that photo you had a very narrow escape.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Harvey and Best4x4