Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New disco, little advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New disco, little advice please.

Just bought a used 2001 discovery SD. Browsing forums for weaknesses and have read lots on the 3 amigos. Appears the seller has disabled the abs and tc lights in the cluster as they don't illuminate on startup, also the park brake light seems to be disabled. Tc didn't appear to be working on a recent test run, tho with a little brake force while throttling, it sort of pulled me through. The hdc light however does work on startup or when engaged. Is the hdc light on a necessity for the 3 amigos? It does not stay lit while driving. I have ordered a icarsoft lr2 to read the abs codes but just looking for insight until scanner arrives. Thanks for any help

Old 09-09-2017, 06:39 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Here is a picture once you turn your key. Just want to confirm which lights you have. Then in few seconds the engine light will turn off.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Here is a picture once you turn your key. Just want to confirm which lights you have. Then in few seconds the engine light will turn off.

okay i dont get the abs light, tc light, service engine light or any of the SRS lights, but mine isn't equipped with SRS. I guess first thing is to get the lights working, to see what seller was trying to hide. Otherwise it runs great lol..

Old 09-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Drifting

The abs does seem to be working fine as well. I don't get the abs, tc, brake or service engine light, or any of the SRS lights, but mine isn't equipped with SRS.

Last edited by Billfromthehill; 09-09-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Missed content
Old 09-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Your truck has SRS that is the Supplemental Restraint System aka the Airbags in the dash. So it is likely that light has been disabled as well.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Ah thanks for the clarification, I assumed SRS was self-levelling rear suspension. I guess first task at hand is to get the warning lights reactivated, so I can see what the seller was trying to hide. Then just wait for scanner to arrive.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Found electrical tape behind the display blocking the individual lights. Removed it, 3 amigos, check engine light, and SRS light stay illuminated. Let the fun begin.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Don’t get discouraged. I would try to get the abs codes read somewhere if you don’t have the scanner. Once you do you know where to begin. If you don’t have a way to read the codes what I would do is start with “option b” fix. It’s very inexpensive to do and is a good mod to have regardless. I would say more times than not this will cure your issue.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:38 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Easy fix

Old 09-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the advice, not discouraged! Excited to figure this thing out, wanted a discovery for years, and the price was right and the truck is very clean with no rust, doesn't look to have been used off road much either... Yet. I did order an icarsoft lr2 scanner which will read the abs codes, just have to wait two weeks for shipping. The abs system does seem to still work fine, found some gravel and mashed the brakes and the abs worked like normal. Noticed a lot of brake dust on wheels, and the aftermarket pads were fitted. Figured while I'm waiting for scanner to arrive I will try cleaning the sensors up and checking the harnesses and connections for resistance.

Quick Reply: New disco, little advice please.