Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks a lot Irma (Complete Interior required)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Thanks a lot Irma (Complete Interior required)

About a month ago I opened up my 2004 D2 to get back to work on her after the summer heat (and hurricane season) had died down here in Florida. To my surprise the entire inside looked like this:

Covered in Mold!

Somehow, during the hurricane, some water had gotten into the truck and then sat in the heat for about 2 weeks until I got to it. Needless to say, the interior is completely shot. Headliner to carpet.

This weekend I got the headliner out, being careful to use a respirator (for mold).

I'm planning on using the sticky's advice and using bedliner or similar for the headliner. However, I have some questions regarding carpet. I'm considering removing the rear seats and turning it into a sleeping platform with drawers. Has anybody done this? Any recommendations before I go to town?

That said, I'm considering not putting carpet back in. Thinking that I just monstaline the whole thing (maybe after dynamatting where I can). Would love to hear what you guys think on the interior.

Trying to look at this as a blessing in disguise. Would probably have never done this if it weren't for Irma.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I want to do exactly this and I don't have a mold problem!. Big box home improvement stores have a version of Dynamat, it is a peel and stick foam used on the outside of ducts for less money. I looked at it, but don't know if painting liner on it would work. Look on Pinterest for the slide out bed box idea. I also want to do something with my rear storage cubbies, it sounds like you have seats. Also thinking about an interior rack suspended from the ceiling, like superstrut/unistrut to hold stuff. Keep us updated!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure that Irma was the root of the problem. It did not help but most likely the problem was because of leaks from the poorly designed sunroofs and installation of. There has been a lot of info on how to remedy this and it needs to be done while the headliner is out. Make sure the sunroof drain tray is resealed where the drains connect. Make sure the drains are clear and remove the sunroof; clean the body where the sunroof assembly meets and reseal this area.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

It may be a long shot but if you are still carrying comprehensive coverage on the truck it may be worth checking to see if your insurance will pay anything due to the storm damage. It may be a stretch to prove the damage is storm-related but it can't hurt to look into it.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
I want to do exactly this and I don't have a mold problem!. Big box home improvement stores have a version of Dynamat, it is a peel and stick foam used on the outside of ducts for less money. I looked at it, but don't know if painting liner on it would work. Look on Pinterest for the slide out bed box idea. I also want to do something with my rear storage cubbies, it sounds like you have seats. Also thinking about an interior rack suspended from the ceiling, like superstrut/unistrut to hold stuff. Keep us updated!
Yeah. I'm definitely thinking of doing something like this: https://adventure-ready.com/store/ar...-rd845-drawer/ but obviously with custom sides so that the sleeping platform on top would be one solid piece. My buddy did it in his Land Cruiser and it looks awesome. In the space between the drawers and the edge of the car (like where the cargo cubbies are on the D2) he put the switches for his compressor and tailgate cooking setup.

I'll post pictures of what I end up doing.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mln01
It may be a long shot but if you are still carrying comprehensive coverage on the truck it may be worth checking to see if your insurance will pay anything due to the storm damage. It may be a stretch to prove the damage is storm-related but it can't hurt to look into it.
I thought about doing this but I had it in a "storage" capacity with my insurance because the head gasket is being worked on right now by a novice tech (me). Maybe I should still look into it, though.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
Not sure that Irma was the root of the problem. It did not help but most likely the problem was because of leaks from the poorly designed sunroofs and installation of. There has been a lot of info on how to remedy this and it needs to be done while the headliner is out. Make sure the sunroof drain tray is resealed where the drains connect. Make sure the drains are clear and remove the sunroof; clean the body where the sunroof assembly meets and reseal this area.
Thanks for the feedback on the drains. I've read through a TON of those posts on the dang drains. Mine actually don't appear to be leaking after hosing down the top of the rover for a solid 5 minutes. I didn't think to check the A Pillars but it seems that some people have found leaks there as well!

Old 11-07-2017, 12:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

A pillar leak can be at the rubber corner bit at the top of the windshield or gutter corner. There was a TSB on it, I have attached for your reference.

On my 04 there was a huge hole behind that corner and it had a number of pine needles inside. It now full of silicone - hopefully no more leaks.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
water_ingress_to_headliner.pdf (170.8 KB, 97 views)
The following users liked this post:
Matthew White (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 05:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
A pillar leak can be at the rubber corner bit at the top of the windshield or gutter corner. There was a TSB on it, I have attached for your reference.

On my 04 there was a huge hole behind that corner and it had a number of pine needles inside. It now full of silicone - hopefully no more leaks.
Thanks for the TSB. I didn't know about that one. Will take a look at it stat. In the meantime, successfully pulled out all the rear carpet. Now for the seats....

I'm going to try to clean them up but they're pretty well infested with mold. How well I can clean them up will answer my question regarding putting in a sleeping platform and drawers for me.

Never heard if anybody has done a custom drawer/sleeping platform setup. After a bit more research I think that these would work: Storage Solutions. Then I would fill in the sides with a custom piece to fill the gap to the side of the truck.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew White
Never heard if anybody has done a custom drawer/sleeping platform setup. After a bit more research I think that these would work: Storage Solutions. Then I would fill in the sides with a custom piece to fill the gap to the side of the truck.
There are a few threads about custom rear platform and storage setups. Search is your friend. It's not rocket science. Some have framed with steel, most with wood.

Quick Reply: Thanks a lot Irma (Complete Interior required)