Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't go into High gear.. Can't find solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Won't go into High gear.. Can't find solenoid

So after replacing the blown T-Case on my 04 Disco with an 03 T-Case, I can not get the truck into High range. It will go into Low, and drive fine.

I can get it into High and it wil drive, but the dash light is flashing and chiming that I am not in a gear, and then it will start grinding and pop out of gear.. Scared the $*#( out of me!

So I have looked into just removing the solenoid as that may be the culprit, but I can't find it on mine. I have seen pictures of where it is supposed to be, but I don't see it or feel it..

Any thoughts?? Remeber its an 04 truck but an 03 T-Case.. the only thing I know is different is the locking mechanism which I did switch over to this one..

Attached Thumbnails Won't go into High gear.. Can't find solenoid-20171130_202932.jpg  
Old 11-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Woops, found the thread I needed..

I got it into Hi with console out rolling backwards and used a pry bar to manually shift it.. Looks like I'm good to go for now.. fingers crossed

Attached Thumbnails Won't go into High gear.. Can't find solenoid-capture.jpg  

Last edited by cobbcj7; 11-30-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I doubt the interlock solenoid is keeping you from shifting in this situation. It normally fails completely leaving you stuck in whatever you were last in. It sounds like the linkage is either binding or not adjusted properly and it's not placing it into gear properly (the N warning/gear light is a good clue).

I'd inspect the cable adjustment or make sure the part on the TC where the 4hi/N/4lo selection happens is working properly (disconnect the cable and manually shift it).

The following users liked this post:
cobbcj7 (12-01-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 09:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Just did a test drive and it popped out of Hi around 15mph... grinding noise and all.... Shifted it into Low and it drives fine...

What would cause this thing to not want to get into Hi, and what would also cause it to pop out of Hi?? Is it a shifter linkage adjustment that needs to happen??

Old 11-30-2017, 11:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by cobbcj7
Just did a test drive and it popped out of Hi around 15mph... grinding noise and all.... Shifted it into Low and it drives fine...

What would cause this thing to not want to get into Hi, and what would also cause it to pop out of Hi?? Is it a shifter linkage adjustment that needs to happen??
Did you inspect the gears/dog teeth/shift collar/shift forks before install?

Old 12-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Rock Crawling

I swapped over my shifter part which includes the fork and CDL to the one I bought. I looked around and did not see any damage or anything out of the ordinary on the donor part..

Is there a way to lock this thing in High permanently as I have never even considered using the locking diff or Low in the 10 years I've had this thing..

I'm going to disconnect the cable and manually put it in High.. Hopefully this will stay in

Last edited by cobbcj7; 12-01-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by cobbcj7
I swapped over my shifter part which includes the fork and CDL to the one I bought. I looked around and did not see any damage or anything out of the ordinary on the donor part..

Is there a way to lock this thing in High permanently as I have never even considered using the locking diff or Low in the 10 years I've had this thing..

I'm going to disconnect the cable and manually put it in High.. Hopefully this will stay in
If the internals of your replacement T-case are toast then no amount of playing with the shift cable will keep it in gear. The T-case I took out of mine was "stuck in neutral". The Hi/Low shifter would move and the dash would give notification of the gear it thought it was in, but the shift fork wasn't moving the collar onto the dog teeth on the High or Low side.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I'd remove the cable end from hi/low mechanism at transfer case and see if you can shift it smoothly into hi. You can adjust the cable housing, if it is not allowing the pull rearward to engage hi.

You have to determine whether it's the cable or an issue with the transfer case. once you disconnect the cable...you should be able to resolve the issue properly. Unless the transfer is scrap.

Good luck.

Brian.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Question

So I removed the cable and it popped out of gear again.. It stays in low fine, but wants to slip out of High...

I adjusted the cable to be pushing the lever enough to where it can't pop back out. After a few miles, it started chiming that it is not engaged even though it is still in High Gear and driving.

The T-Case came from a shop with a warranty, but I'm pretty sure me taking it apart and using my 04CDL unit on the 03 donor case would void that warranty. But when I took it apart, everything looked good inside.

I filled it with fluid, and havent checked it since trial running it around the neighborhood.. Could low or too much fluid cause this??

Old 12-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I wouldn't think fluid level will cause your issues. These T-cases are commonly forgotten about and have leaked most/all fluid out. The cases I've read about have driven fine until the T-case destroys itself.

Since you believe your warranty is void. What you need to check now are the internals associated with the high low shifting. Drain your fluid, take off the lower inspection panel(10 bolts), and inspect the collar, dog teeth, and gears. I have one sitting on my bench currently and snapped these pics for you.

Quick Reply: Won't go into High gear.. Can't find solenoid