Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 vs 2004 HSE7

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 12:33 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0304Disco

I have an 03 se7 and it doesn't have air suspension. I'm the second owner, can anyone verify the above quote is correct?
​​​​​​​my 03 see never had air suspension

Old 10-03-2017, 10:50 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIndiana
Hello Forum!

This is only my second post; apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

I have always loved the styling of the Discovery (I and II). Am at a point in my life where I can purchase a fun car and am seriously considering getting a Discovery (was thinking series II but now after spending some time on this forum maybe not).

So looking I guess for opinions on two questions:

1. Is the 2004 the best Discovery II to get?
2. Should I be looking at a Discovery I?

A bit about usage:

* This would be a fun car...I have 3 other vehicles ranging from a winter driver to a garage queen to a sports car. I just love the styling of the Discovery and am willing to accept the quirks and maintenance costs.
* Am looking at the idea of a roof mounted tent so my wife will camp with me; I can see using the Disco for some offroading but nothing too serious. But like the idea of having a vehicle that can tackle any road even if nothing more than a Forest Service road.
* I like the SE7 as would be fun for the (eventual...not rushing things) grand kids
* Eventually will be building a beach house in Alabama and see this as being the beach car, so to speak.

Am very enamored with Vienna Green though White would also be nice. Just want something that won't bake quite as much in the Alabama sun.

Appreciate any guidance / wisdom.

Thanks

David
SE7 or HSE7 is great. The 2004 has central differential locks and its a plus for a lot of guys here in the forum. I got an HSE7 which have an extra A/C vents for the back seats. Great for trips. We use it only for long drives. You can collapse the 2nd row and 2 people can seat all the way to the back like a limo. It has air suspension and back up distance warning tone. The audio is amazing with Harman Kardon system integrated with DVD for the rear head rest. It has factory additional LR fog lamps and dealer installed SD roof rack. I dont have a Discovery 1 so I'm not familiar with the trim difference except the head lights and engine.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I've read numerous places the '03 oil pump problem occurred within the first 10,000 miles of ownership. The cover was misaligned to the engine causing the pump gears to fail. If it's still on the road, no worry about the pump now anymore than any other year.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Gerry and Jwehking - appreciate the guidance

Gerry - you have a very nice looking truck. Is the luggage rack a LR option or is that aftermarket?

I will concentrate my search on '04 HSE7's.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:47 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Thanks Gerry and Jwehking - appreciate the guidance

Gerry - you have a very nice looking truck. Is the luggage rack a LR option or is that aftermarket?

Its a dealer installed option those days from Safety Device. Good luck hunting!

Old 10-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just as an fyi, I believe the ‘04 HSE7 was very limited. I swear I read on here at one time there were only a few hundred (which does seem low to me). My entire time searching I only saw one. And, outside of the air suspensions - which you may want to remove anyway and most likely a PO has had done already), you can find an SE7 that has everything else. Mine has the rear parking sensors (they are more annoying than good), and a lot have the upgraded HK stereo. Then I think it is just the rims. Which you may like the Hurricanes better anyway.

Anyway, I only mention this because you may not want to restrict yourself to an HSE7 as it will greatly limit your search and number of quality examples you find. And, realistically the HSE isn’t going to give you a whole lot extra over the SE7. Except for possibly the annoying air bag light on the dash if the bags weren’t removed right. Happy hunting!

Last edited by akrover90; 10-04-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 AM
6th Gear

Thanks akrover! Since it is the 7 person seating that I am most after, I appreciate the guidance. What I liked about the HSE was what Gerry said about extra AC vents, but maybe that can be also found in some SEs? I am not a gizmo kind of guy so any other bells and whistles in an HSE are not what I am after. In fact, I would be most happy if I could find a basic Discovery with a manual transmission that seats 7 but I guess that is completely out of the question in the US.

The good news is that I have time to hunt...this isn't an immediate purchase. Additionally, the independent garage that I use seems to have a lot of experience in with Discos based on the number of them I see there (though the comment from one of the techs there when I mentioned the volume of Discoverys was "are you surprised?" reinforced that these are not as bullet proof as some other makes.)

Hopefully I am not embarking on a crazy journey here. I just don't think that there is a better looking SUV than the DI and DII Land Rovers and really would like to have one in the stable.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:00 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I know its a matter of personal preference but I don't know why anyone would want those jump seats in the cargo area. Access is very limited and you would need the roof rack to make up for the lack of cargo space. These are "mid size" trucks, If I had to haul 7 passengers I'd be looking for something larger for when hauling the whole family.

The only models that came from the factory without air suspension were S models. Thats the base model. They also came without sunroofs. Many people change over to coils when the air shocks start to fail so that is why an HSE or SE7 would have coils.

Last edited by Dave03S; 10-04-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:12 AM
TReK
Received 765 Likes on 633 Posts

I have a '99 D2 which came with rear air and the jump seats (and the rear audio controls, but nobody is going to use those these days). The seats are simple to remove so I normally have them stored in the garage as they take up so much room in the cargo area even when folded up.
The real problem with the 6th and 7th seats is that they are hideously uncomfortable to sit on for any length of time unless you have about a 9" inseam. And then, as Dave03S says, you don't have any place to carry whatever bags all the passengers might have so you have to look to the roof.
Despite their exterior size, these are not spacious vehicles inside.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:53 AM
6th Gear

Thanks Dave - my intention with the jump seats would be for down the road grandkids...I know, sounds a bit crazy but I am a long range planning kind of guy. The Disco will be used at an eventual (hopefully) beach house and I envision transporting the g'kids in the back for short distances.

At any rate, that is my current thinking...I hear what you are saying about the jump seats not being overly useful

Quick Reply: 2003 vs 2004 HSE7