Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking sound! Of course it's a Disco!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

Yes. The 04 is pretty much the ONLY year that something like this was possible...though, some 04's have had hg problems. Not this one.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by COSitsWORTHit
Yes. The 04 is pretty much the ONLY year that something like this was possible...though, some 04's have had hg problems. Not this one.
I was going to take a crack at the diff issue but I'm so enthralled with the longevity of your engine I lost my train of thought. Go for 250.

You can pin that sleeve from underneath and maybe go 300.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Lol...Actually I would like your input on the diff issue...but its getting a fluid change, investigation this weekend then I'll post outcomes.

I may pin it. Not really stressing the money it will cost to fix it right, but I just want to see how far I can take it. Everywhere I drive is tow truck accessible when that day comes.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:10 AM
Camel Trophy

Lol...Actually I would like your input on the diff issue...but its getting a fluid change, investigation this weekend then I'll post outcomes.

I may pin it. Not really stressing the money it will cost to fix it right, but I just want to see how far I can take it. Everywhere I drive is tow truck accessible when that day comes.
I totally understand. My truck has turned into a science experiment, too and I want to know how long it can go.

I'm afraid that my input in the diff issue is limited to "that's a huge amount of slop. Mine doesn't do that." However, I thought the gear noise sounded like the transfer case rather than the diff. I'm going to watch the videos again and see if I can come up with something more helpful.

FWIW an engine guy told me you can pin sleeves with a dab of JB Weld at the bottom lip, but I think that assumed it wasn't already moving.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So I drained the front diff. That's about how much metal is on the magnet. Would any of y'all say that's excessive?

Old 03-31-2016, 08:31 PM
Camel Trophy

So I drained the front diff. That's about how much metal is on the magnet. Would any of y'all say that's excessive?
Looks like alot to me. I'd pull the diff cover and look at the gears.

I've checked mine a few times and never saw any metal... Just dark dirty stuff that was probably metal... No shards like that. My Titan was stuck in 4wd on a trip once and I just had no choice. When I got home I had rear wheel drive only and the magnet looked about like that. My axle splines were ground down. You may have something like that going on. Unknown.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-31-2016 at 08:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (04-01-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 10:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

If that amount of shaving happened in 20k miles, I say it's nothing to worry about, it's normal for D2's to wear out front diff gears because in normal driving rear diff is doing most of pushing & front diff is just passive,,,
When I bought my 04,(assuming previous owner had changed both diff oils at same time, but I don't think he ever did,!!) when I drained both diff fluid at same time to replace them, rear diff oil was almost like new with no shavings , but front one "MY GOD",,, looked like crap,!! & it had so much shavings on magnet (that maget looked like a baby porcupine , I would say at least 40 grams worth of shavings) & a few small chunks of metal,, I really thought I have to replace front diff,,,, I filled it with with 5w30 motor oil for more viscosity & cleaning , then turned front tires while on jack stand's for few min & flushed it & repeated it one more time, till I got rid of all shaving's & crap,, filled it with synthetic gear oil, 12k later still running & hasn't given me any problems yet,! But I am keeping close eye on it & will be replacing front diff oil twice as often as rear one,,

Last edited by Bom2oo2; 03-31-2016 at 11:17 PM.
The_OGCJR (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So report from the morning drive: 30 miles to my office, seems like the knocking is gone, but it was raining so the extra moisture may have an effect on axle noise...another drive home later today will verify.

btw, i put in Lucas 85-140 hd

Old 04-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Another update, went out for lunch, otw back i noticed the u joint chirp noise. So thats coming out tonight till I can get another one in.

Btw, its a Tom Woods shaft in there now. I called and they recommended a rebuild because it would cost less. The shaft has been in the truck for about 90k so they mentioned it could be the centering ball, and I can remember if I've been greasing that part every time or not.

Last edited by The_OGCJR; 04-01-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Another update, went out for lunch, otw back i noticed the u joint chirp noise. So thats coming out tonight till I can get another one in.

Btw, its a Tom Woods shaft in there now. I called and they recommended a rebuild because it would cost less. The shaft has been in the truck for about 90k so they mentioned it could be the centering ball, and I can remember if I've been greasing that part every time or not.
I don't have a TomWoods front but on mine you have to remove the shaft to grease the centering ball. With 90k it probably is ready for a rebuild but it is easy enough to find out if it is the centering ball when you take it off. If it is, fill it with grease and give it a shot while you still have your work clothes on. I had the same issue and the shop that made mine said if it is the centering ball you can usually just fill it back up and be on your way.

The_OGCJR (04-01-2016)

Quick Reply: Knocking sound! Of course it's a Disco!