Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

death wobble argh

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 07:51 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

"why is this scored/fresh metal scratches on it?"

That's the adjusting rod for the track rod. The tech put a pipe wrench on it to set the alignment(Toe in/out). Scratches are normal.

"what's the pink stuff at the panhard bushing??"

Looks like either a crushed polybush, or someone slapped some grease on worn out oe rubber bushings. Those bushings are inexpensive, replace them. IMHO get poly.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent a tiny fortune getting new bushings sent (shipping was spendy because I didn't want to have no ride all holiday weekend) only to watch the repair on YouTube and realize I have NO way of pressing a new bushing in, so I ordered the new rod and am walking and biking this holiday weekend.

The rod isn't expensive, though it woulda been cheaper all around if I had watched the repair BEFORE wasting money on bushings alone.

Learn from my whoops!

Old 07-03-2016, 10:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Most shops should be able to press out the old bushing in a matter of minutes.

Originally Posted by pidge
I spent a tiny fortune getting new bushings sent (shipping was spendy because I didn't want to have no ride all holiday weekend) only to watch the repair on YouTube and realize I have NO way of pressing a new bushing in, so I ordered the new rod and am walking and biking this holiday weekend.

The rod isn't expensive, though it woulda been cheaper all around if I had watched the repair BEFORE wasting money on bushings alone.

Learn from my whoops!

Old 07-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fishEH
Most shops should be able to press out the old bushing in a matter of minutes.
yeah -- I feel like "DIY" and "DIY plus bushing removal and bushing re-press in a shop you need to get to without your truck because your axle is going to be dangling loose" are two verrrrrry different things, thus my caution to future readers of this thread.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Mudding
Old 07-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Camel Trophy

What's the Current Toe in the front? Pic got cut off.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fishEH
What's the Current Toe in the front?
left .04 right -.04

Old 07-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Mudding

oh, man, I am so disappointed. I got most of the way through this and then had to stop. I was thinking it was the easiest repair I'd ever done. I shouldn't have formed that thought.

The new bar is a few millimeters longer than the old, and I can't make it fit. Pic attached -- with bushings on one side centered, holes (one with new bushing, one with old trashed bushing removed) do not line up.

Can I MAKE it fit by pushing hard on the axle????? So bummed. I know I can always go get bushings put on the old rod and re-use it, but I really wanted to go get groceries tonight ((((((((((((

this is two panhards stacked... the old on top, no bushing. the new on the bottom, black bushing. The rods don't line up/aren't same length. Center of new bushing is a few mm off where center of old one was.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

You'll have to put a jack under the frame and let the axle remain on the ground to get it to fit. When using a jack under the frame you have to protect the thin frame with a block of wood otherwise it will deform it. You only have to raise enough to get the bolts through. I don't think a couple of mm is going to make all the much difference when you set it back down other than it might make the frame sit a little higher than before, if you even notice it. Gotta wonder why it's longer though.......

Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Camel Trophy

You should be able to muscle it in.
Install the axle end first, use LOTS of antisieze on the bolts through the bushing. Then try to line up the frame end. You can push the truck left and right while pushing on the bolt and it might just slide right in. Otherwise you can use a long punch inserted through one side of the frame mount and halfway into the bushing. You should be able to leverage the punch one way or another enough to get the bolt in.

You also might try a ratchet strap from the frame across to the other side of the axle to pull the axle whichever way it needs to go.

Last edited by fishEH; 07-06-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: death wobble argh